Sign in to follow this  
bianchini

Distributor has the wrong hole!!!

10 posts / 715 viewsLast Reply

yesterday when I was replacing my condenser on my distributor, I go put my new condenser on and I come to find out that the pass through is circular, and the NEW condenser has a square plug/ pass through!!!!!!!!

what does this mean guys and gals?! This is my daily, so I need to find an answer ASAP.

thanks everyone. - also the distributor numbers are: 0 231 180 008 JFUD 4

yesterday when I was replacing my condenser on my distributor, I go put my new condenser on and I come to find out that the pass through is circular, and the NEW condenser has a square plug/ pass through!!!!!!!!

what does this mean guys and gals?! This is my daily, so I need to find an answer ASAP.

thanks everyone. - also the distributor numbers are: 0 231 180 008 JFUD 4

I ran into the same problem this week (just ordered a new condenser myself!).

I'm going to simply cut down the plug on the new one until it fits. Shouldn't take much, and as long as you approach it with a little bit of care you would have to be pretty dumb to mess it up.

i read ya. is this a reoccuring theme. I feel like i cant be the FIRST person in this community to see this. plus, ive searched and havent found any relevant threads....

You have to be careful when buying ignition parts.

The condensor may also have a Left and right orientation the way the bracket is "rolled". I guess that is why so many folks run electronic ignition like Pertronix.

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

Thanks for the tip, but how can you find/ specify which condenser you want? besides the old- "the one with the round peg and not the square peg through the round hole"...

plus, im terrified of trying to set up electronic ignition due to the fact that there are about 1000 different options. thus making it too confusing! and i consider myself a pretty competent person.... :)

Thanks for the tip, but how can you find/ specify which condenser you want? besides the old- "the one with the round peg and not the square peg through the round hole"...

plus, im terrified of trying to set up electronic ignition due to the fact that there are about 1000 different options. thus making it too confusing! and i consider myself a pretty competent person.... :)

Not sure... that is why I took a picture of the square one made in Turkey with Bosch box - came from BavAuto. Your best bet is to call a Parts supplier and tell them your Bosch distributor number and square/round hole, etc.

There were millions of these made, remanufactured and spare parts are made around the world.

Don't be terrified of Pertronix, it's a very simple (very, very simple) upgrade. I've done it to every points having vehicle I've ever owned, with zero issues ever...

As Jim said above, "call a Parts supplier and tell them your Bosch distributor number and square/round hole, etc. "

I'd recommend calling La Jolla Independent (in San Deigo, 800/466-8184).

Carl Nelson, and his employees, drive '02s and have been dealing with them for more than 20 yrs.

They'll get you the right parts. To minimize shipping costs per part you might also want to get new points, caps, rotor, etc. at the same time.

Bob Napier

Carl Nelson, and his employees, drive '02s and have been dealing with them for more than 20 yrs.

They'll get you the right parts. To minimize shipping costs per part you might also want to get new points, caps, rotor, etc. at the same time.

Bob Napier

Be prepared to answer the question (especially from Carl) if your car has "reverse" points! Some M10 distributors had the points in a different mounting orientation (but the rotor still turns clockwise).

Bob Napier

Be prepared to answer the question (especially from Carl) if your car has "reverse" points! Some M10 distributors had the points in a different mounting orientation (but the rotor still turns clockwise).

And, if you order a new cap they will ask if your cap needs a locating tab or a locating slot. This is what mates with the dizzy rim and correctly locates the cap on the dizzy.

Bob Napier