Robotin

no start, no crank, now no power.

8 posts / 2789 viewsLast Reply

so i figured putting an lower mileagle m10 in my 2002 would be easy. i was wrong. right now. the engine is in, and ive been wiring the starter and it will not crank. the previous owner did some janky things, and i belive some wries were added at one point for something. i need a little help with some wiring issues ive been having. ive tried googling for a simple starter wiring diagram. and for some reason i havent found a good 1. so anyway. this is what im dealing with.

my starter wiring

2012-10-24111829.jpg

i also have this long wire that goes into the firewall behind the brake booster. and it reaches across the entire engine bay there for i have no idea where this goes.

2012-10-24111932.jpg

i have this other wire that i bielve goes to the starter but not sure.

2012-10-24112011.jpg

i tried attaching both of these wires to the starter and still no crank.

also when i thought i had it right, i would get a small clicking sound coming from the distributor, and i felt like it didnt have ay juice, so we hooked some jumper cables from my buddies car. to keep some power going through the car. but now. there is absolutely no batery power.

someone help please!!

huge thanks in advance!!

The starter should have two main wires that are needed to start the battery voltage (B+) which is the big one and comes directly from the battery + terminal. The smaller wire is your ignition signal wire (IGN+) which is the flat spade connector at the top of the solenoid. Check that you have at least 12v at the B+ wire all the time and that you have 12v at IGN+ when the key is turned to the start position. If you have voltage at those wires but its not 12v check your battery for full charge. If the battery is at 12v and you still dont have 12v at the starter check/clean the engine ground. If you dont have voltage on either one of those wires youve found your problem. Also sounds like you may have had something hooked up wrong and you may have blown fuses so check those too.

Hope that helps

The starter should have two main wires that are needed to start the battery voltage (B+) which is the big one and comes directly from the battery + terminal. The smaller wire is your ignition signal wire (IGN+) which is the flat spade connector at the top of the solenoid. Check that you have at least 12v at the B+ wire all the time and that you have 12v at IGN+ when the key is turned to the start position. If you have voltage at those wires but its not 12v check your battery for full charge. If the battery is at 12v and you still dont have 12v at the starter check/clean the engine ground. If you dont have voltage on either one of those wires youve found your problem. Also sounds like you may have had something hooked up wrong and you may have blown fuses so check those too.

Hope that helps

i will check onthat tmorrow. only problem. i dont have a voltmeter.

Think you need to be a bit careful connecting random wires to terminals. You could start a fire that way.

Get a cheap digital multi meter or even a test light (a probe with a bulb in it that lights up when it is connected between a 12v source and a good ground). You should use this to work out what everything is doing (I.e either live at 12v, connected to ground or a circuit that may be switched.

If you got clicking from the solenoid (I assume, rather than distributor) then the switching circuit is likely to be OK. Charge the battery and give it another go. If is still only clicks then check the heavy gauge battery cable and the connections between battery negative and the body plus the engine to the body. You will need a good return path as well.

Once you have it cranking you then need to check if it should be switching a ballast resistor ignition (how many wires on your coil +?)

thanx for the reply, i know whats a + and whats a -, there extra positive terminals on this starter so i was doing different things, but never a crank. i know not to reverse the poles. haha

First thing I would do before bsing with the wiring is confirm that the starter works, use a positive jumper from the battery, and bridge the gap with a screwdriver, just confirm that it spins. If it doesn't, connect a jumper from the starter aluminum body to battery -, then bridge the gap and see if it spins.

If it doesn't spin, your starter is bad, if it does, you can move on to the wiring.

Here is a wiring diagram:

http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002-usa-1975.pdf

#25 is your starter, #46 is your starter relay.

That red wire on your + terminal is not supposed to be there, but it may have just been an easy place for the PO to grab power from.

Im betting the red wire that goes back around the rear of the engine compartment is the wire that is supposed to go to the coil +.

Its just a matter of tracing with the ol' multimeter. Good luck!

First thing I would do before bsing with the wiring is confirm that the starter works, use a positive jumper from the battery, and bridge the gap with a screwdriver, just confirm that it spins. If it doesn't, connect a jumper from the starter aluminum body to battery -, then bridge the gap and see if it spins.

If it doesn't spin, your starter is bad, if it does, you can move on to the wiring.

That red wire on your + terminal is not supposed to be there, but it may have just been an easy place for the PO to grab power from.

Im betting the red wire that goes back around the rear of the engine compartment is the wire that is supposed to go to the coil +.

Thanx for all the reply's. This motor was pulled from a running car (so I was told). So I have no reason to believe anything is bad. I have no idea where any of these wires go. Bleh.

I've been reading a lot of diagrams. But nothing is showing me which where the wires in the engine bay go. So confusing.

Thanx for all the reply's. This motor was pulled from a running car (so I was told). So I have no reason to believe anything is bad. I have no idea where any of these wires go. Bleh.

I've been reading a lot of diagrams. But nothing is showing me which where the wires in the engine bay go. So confusing.