Dejammey

Really need some help getting my 02 started

13 posts / 795 viewsLast Reply

I have been trying to get my 02 running for weeks using every bit of resources I could find on FAQ and I still have zero luck getting her to start.

A little over a month ago I was out for a drive and lost all spark on my 1976 with 2 Webber 45s. I checked the points and they were fried. I decided to install the Pertronix 1847V with new cap, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, and a new 12v coil.

I installed the Pertronix as explained in the 02 FAQ section. I also started working on setting the timing. I set the engine to TDC using the cam gear mark and it was in line with the mark on the crank pulley. I cleaned my les then year old spark plugs checked the gap and made sure I had the plugs on the distributor from the TDC mark 1-3-4-2 clockwise and made sure the plugs went to the corresponding cylinders. As I installed each spark plug I took the time to make sure they had spark and they did.

She would not fire and would make popping sounds and puffs of smoke would come out of the Webbers. She turns over fine but that’s really all she does is turns over. Does not really sound like she is trying to fire.

I have gone back and re-installed and checked everything 4 or 5 times now. I really need to get this car back on the rd because it is about to be my only car in a few weeks. I would love anyone's input on what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks guys,

Chad

Hey Man If you want to email me Im right below Charlotte in Fort mill and work uptown. I would be willing to come look at with you and give you a second set of eyes. I know how hard those problems can be to solve.

You're getting fuel and spark...sounds like something isn't arriving at the proper time...and it's the spark.

"Poping sounds" and smoke coming out of the carburetors--that sure sounds like the timing is way off. Did you establish that you have #1` cylinder identified? # 1 cylinder with valves at equilibrium, timing mark on the timing chain sprocket aligns with the mark on the cylinder head.

Pop the distributor cap off, and where the rotor is pointing is where the wire to #1 spark plug should be on the cap. If the dizzy was installed correctly, there's a mark on the edge of the dizzy housing that should align with the rotor.

When you've determined #1 cylinder, install the other plug wires in the proper firing order (1-3-4-2). That should get the timing in the ballpark. Then use a timing light to get it right on the button.

cheers

mike

You're getting fuel and spark...sounds like something isn't arriving at the proper time...and it's the spark.

"Poping sounds" and smoke coming out of the carburetors--that sure sounds like the timing is way off. Did you establish that you have #1` cylinder identified? # 1 cylinder with valves at equilibrium, timing mark on the timing chain sprocket aligns with the mark on the cylinder head.

Pop the distributor cap off, and where the rotor is pointing is where the wire to #1 spark plug should be on the cap. If the dizzy was installed correctly, there's a mark on the edge of the dizzy housing that should align with the rotor.

When you've determined #1 cylinder, install the other plug wires in the proper firing order (1-3-4-2). That should get the timing in the ballpark. Then use a timing light to get it right on the button.

cheers

mike

Thank you for the help Mike,

I agree with you that something has to be off with the timing. I have everything lined up. The notch on the front pulley the line on the cam sprocket and both #1 lobes are pointed down that should be TDC. I know that my plugs went on correctly (1-3-4-2) with the rotor pointing to the small line on the distributor base.

I'd suspect the Pertronix--either the unit or its installation.

There's gotta be something wrong somewhere...you did do the plug wires in the correct direction for the dizzy's rotation...didn't you?

mike

One of the nice things about the Pertronix is that it will fire at about 0rpm.

here's something to try-

find TDC for #1 on the compression stroke.

Hook up a spark plug to the coil, and ground it well. Don't hold onto it for this test!

Loosen the dizzy, and rotate the housing until the plug fires. You can

rock it back and forth to get 'right on' and the plug will fire every time

you do that.

Remember that you'll be rotating the housing counter- clockwise to simulate

the rotor moving clockwise.

When you get it nailed, you've got TDC for #1. Check to make sure

that the distributor cap agrees, in that the rotor's pointing

to #1 tower. It's quite possible with the pertronix magnet ring

to get the coil firing when the rotor's NOT aligned with ANY tower-

you have to futz with the magnet to get it right.

This will run, and then you can time it from there, or you can

rock the engine back 15 or so degrees and it'll be darned close.

hth

t

I set the engine to TDC using the cam gear mark and it was in line with the mark on the crank pulley.

On my tii engine the notch in the crank pulley lines up with a raised line on the plastic tii gilmer belt cover when the #1 piston is at TDC. This raised line is about 30° clockwise (when viewed from the front of the engine). Then I set the cam timing with respect to the oil spray bar (lined up with notch on top) and then install timing chain.

Given your description above, it sounds like you may have aligned the notch in the crank pulley with the engine centerline. If you did then I think the #1 piston is not at TDC when you set the cam, which would explain the timing issue. A little hard for me to visualize as I am not in front of my engine now, but that is what I remember. I believe a standard 2002 lower front timing cover has a timing pointer on it. Can others verify if it is in line with the engine centerline or if it is offset clockwise from the centerline?

EDIT: Found a photo of front cover. See notes below.

Fred '74tii & '69GT3.

post-16466-13667665899841_thumb.jpg

One of the nice things about the Pertronix is that it will fire at about 0rpm.

here's something to try-

find TDC for #1 on the compression stroke.

Hook up a spark plug to the coil, and ground it well. Don't hold onto it for this test!

Loosen the dizzy, and rotate the housing until the plug fires. You can

rock it back and forth to get 'right on' and the plug will fire every time

you do that.

Remember that you'll be rotating the housing counter- clockwise to simulate

the rotor moving clockwise.

When you get it nailed, you've got TDC for #1. Check to make sure

that the distributor cap agrees, in that the rotor's pointing

to #1 tower. It's quite possible with the pertronix magnet ring

to get the coil firing when the rotor's NOT aligned with ANY tower-

you have to futz with the magnet to get it right.

This will run, and then you can time it from there, or you can

rock the engine back 15 or so degrees and it'll be darned close.

hth

t

Thank you for this Toby,

I did what you said as far as plugin the spark plug into the coil and found the spark. When I open the distributor back up the TDC line on the distributor was now to the left of the rotor. So I turned the distributor to match the rotor and tried to start the car. I got a it to fire a little but that was it. She ran very lite then cut back out. But hey at least I feel I am moving in the correct direction.

Where should I go from here?

I am thinking of running to pickup some spare points to throw back in the car just to see what happens.

She just fired and ran till I shut her off. Thank you FB73tii, TobyB, and 73colorado02. Everything you guys told me got me a little closer. One thing I did do was re install the fat rotor and took the thin one out. I did this just to see what would happen and it seemed to help. Not sure why though. Now I am trying to set the timing with my timing light. I will let you guys know how it goes.

thank you again for all the help!

Guest Anonymous

sounds like u are making progress. If you can get it to run now so you can use the timing light, you are good to go. If not, just loosen the distributor bolt so you cn turn the dist. by hand with only a bit of resistance and then start the car, or crank it over if it won't actually start, and move the dist. a bit back or forth until it runs. The timing will be pretty close then, and you can finish it with the timing light. Wear a leather glove while u move the dist. to guard against getting shocked.

please use the "BALL " mark on the flywheel now instead of any mark

on the front pulley

no advance on the timing light - just basic strobe light

with the rpm's held at 1,500 and the BALL aligned with the

line inside the inspection hole

creighton / DEMAREST MOTORBOOKS

02timingmarkandheadboltsequence.jpg

02IGNITIONTIMING.jpg

. One thing I did do was re install the fat rotor and took the thin one out

Aha- I'd bet that the magnet ring's out of time with the cap, so that the

coil's firing before (or after) the rotor's exactly lined up with the plug wire.

I've done that before, it's frustrating.

t