Lowcountry2002

Just rebuilt carb...couple of questions

9 posts / 558 viewsLast Reply

With everyone's help and this link, I rebuilt my first carb yesterday--only took 6 hours! :)

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,970742/sid,bb8f6ddf4946b286f5010bf5c8795e2f/

Unfortunately, my tachometer doesn't work, so I'm having to adjust my idle by feel...It's been kinda tough.

Is the pump jet a single pump jet?

My reverse gear is really grinding when putting it into reverse. I'm sure it wasn't doing this before?

Thanks so much guys. I'm completely new to this and this site has been a great help.

Take a look at the spray fitting you mounted to the top cover. If it has only one hole then it is a single.

Lower your idle speed and that should help your reverse grinding issue. 2002 tachs are notoriously inaccurate at idle IMHO. I use either my ear or a timing light with tach function to check most 02s.

I also learned many years ago that 02s and most older BMWs like it when you go into 1st or 3rd gear BEFORE going for reverse at idle for some reason. It's become muscle memory for me and I do it in almost every BMW I drive (and people make fun of me for it). Probably has something to do with lining up transmission internals for the shift. That fact that this problem is new leads me to believe your idle is too high. No synchro for reverse! ;-)

Paul wrote: I also learned many years ago that 02s and most older BMWs like it when you go into 1st or 3rd gear BEFORE going for reverse at idle for some reason. It's become muscle memory for me and I do it in almost every BMW I drive (and people make fun of me for it). Probably has something to do with lining up transmission internals for the shift. That fact that this problem is new leads me to believe your idle is too high. No synchro for reverse!

This is particularly true with the early (pre 72) trannys that use Porsche synchronizers. There's some little glitch in the design that doesn't seem to be present in the later gearboxes that use the Borg-Warner synchro design.

Also...if your shift tower (the frame that supports the shift lever/linkage) is either loose on the tranny or the metalastic mounts are worn, it can cause difficulty in selecting reverse. Worth a look.

cheers

mike

Alright, I'm getting there. The jet looks like a double, but there is only one hole(passenger side). When I give it a little gas only one barrel opens. You really have to give it gas to get the other one to open. Sorry for my ignorance, but does that sound right?

Thanks for the tips of putting it into second before reverse. That is helping. I feel like the idle is so low, the engine is about to turn off. Oh well, I'll get it right eventually.

Guest Anonymous

If it is a 32/36 carb then it is doing what it is supposed to do. These are progressive carbs - you get one barrel at first and then two when you give it more pedal.

The idle mixture makes a difference as well as the idle speed, as well as having the car properly tuned. You should fix your tach or get an external instrument (a dwell/tachometer is very useful in doing a proper tune-up if you still have points) so you can adjust everything properly.

No synchro for reverse!

Nope.

In fact, I was flabbergasted to discover that the E36 has a synchro on reverse-

how odd...

It adds a chunk of complexity.

But then, so did synchronizers, back in the day.

t