Motorcitydak

Will a 013 distributor run a Tii?

4 posts / 470 viewsLast Reply

I have a '74 Tii that has been giving me a world of trouble. I am trying to get it running, just rebuild to shortblock. I cannot get the thing to run. I have been trying to change the timing and see if I can get anything to happen. I know that the 008 is the Tii distributor, just pulled mine out and it is the 013. Do I have to find the 008? If so, anyone have one available?

Edit: Trying to go some reading on this, seems like the 013 is correct for a '74Tii? Mine is a 231 180 013. Mileage displayed is 55k something, that may be 155 according to the paperwork I have. I assume that dist could be pretty worn out. Think I should just pick this up? I really do not want points anyways. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-2002-2002Tii-Tii-Mechanical-Advance-Distributor-Electronic-Ignitor-/261076814679?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc9640b57&vxp=mtr

I believe that the 013 for the '74tii was a one year only part and used to reduce emissions. It has vacuum retard on it.

I also believe that the distributor you listed from ebay is what Ireland Engineering sells and it will probably work fine.

Others will chime in with further details.

If you can't even get it to start then it's not a matter of which dizzy. The car will run with just about any of them..... Just not well.

Give us more info on the basics. Do have spark? Did you set the static timing? Etc.

Pete

Sure, Short block at TDC via the mark at 1 O'clock on the front cover and the notch on the crank pulley. I cannot see the mark on the flywheel. I have tried multiple times, never seen it. I tried my best to confirm the TDC of cyl 1 with a piece of lead solder, I stuck it into the #1 spark plug hole to feel for the piston, felt rite on. On the compression stroke, cam mark is rite at the oil sprayer bar. Dist rotor pointed rite at the small notch on the body of the dist, plug wire 1 placed at that spot, firing order 1342. Plugs, coil, points, condenser, plug wires all new within the last year. I checked compression on all cyl's, about 140-150ps per cyl. I have been using starting fluid so it should not even need any more fuel from the injection system. Still, it is getting 35psi to the K fish and the car ran (terribly) before I took the motor apart. Think maybe a leak down test is in order? I did have the compression tester in cyl 1 trying to check for the compression stroke. With rotating the engine with a wrench, I never did show any reading on the gauge at all. I got my pressure readings when using the starter