Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Fuel gauge woes

4 posts / 246 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Very little fuel in tank, yet when I turn the key on, the needle in the gauge hits the top peg. Also, both wires to sender are hot. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Fran Ferrance

[email protected]

1972 2002

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a problem in sending unit, pull unit out by spinning and pull out to inspect, key off we want no sparks. A word to the wise, be very careful around gas tank, I bought my o2 from a lad who spent two weeks in ICU when his tank blew up in his face. Once sender is pulled you are looking for a false ground on one of the wires, disconnect wires to sender before pulling, turn key on and if needle still jumps up skip above steps and check for false ground in wiring or where it connects to sender. Everyone will tell you this is a ground problem at gauge but if so you would have a dead needle not a jumpin needle.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a problem in sending unit, pull unit out by spinning and pull out to inspect, key off we want no sparks. A word to the wise, be very careful around gas tank, I bought my o2 from a lad who spent two weeks in ICU when his tank blew up in his face. Once sender is pulled you are looking for a false ground on one of the wires, disconnect wires to sender before pulling, turn key on and if needle still jumps up skip above steps and check for false ground in wiring or where it connects to sender. Everyone will tell you this is a ground problem at gauge but if so you would have a dead needle not a jumpin needle.

Ground issue will also make the needle peg to the top of the gauge. That's what mine did. Add a ground at the temp and fuel pegs on the back of the cluster and it will solve your problem.