Guest Anonymous

Fuel gauge woes

10 posts / 963 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Very little fuel in tank, yet when I turn the key on, the needle in the gauge hits the top peg. Also, both wires to sender are hot. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Fran Ferrance

[email protected]

1972 2002

Most likely it is a loss of ground on the gauge. Search on here for gauge grounds and there will be a how to fix.

I had this problem and the fuel sender wire inside the fuel tank was broken. Replaced it with another fuel sender and now it reads right.

Unplug both wires from the sender and turn the key on (don't let the ends of the wire touch anything) and see what the gauge does, If it is still pegged then there is a short in the wire from the sending unit to the gauge. If the gauge is showing empty then touch the 2 wires together and see if the gauge goes to full, if it does not then you may have a ground problem, touch the sender wire to a known good ground and see what it does, if it does not go to full then I would suspect ground issues or a faulty gauge. If when you touch the wires together it goes to full and it goes to empty when you pull them apart then I would suspect the sender is bad (this is the normal behavior).

To test fuel gauges I have a 0-100 ohm variable resistor (the sending unit is approx 0-75 but I could not find one in that range) that I got at an electronics store and I plug that in place of the sender, I can dial it to a certain fuel level and watch the gauge, this will hold steady so I can drive around with it and test for erratic behavior, if the gauge stops bouncing around then I know it is the sender, if it continues to bounce around then I know to look elsewhere.

Guest Anonymous

Grounded the terminals behind the fuel gauge with no improvement (!!??)

Fran

Guest Anonymous

FunkylaneO, thanks! I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Fran

i have the same exact problem with my 76...have done every fix suggested, grounds, new sender, in this thread and the gauge still pegs to full 99% of the time with an occasional flutter to what i assume to be a good reading

Guest Anonymous

Final fix: totally disassembled fuel gauge, cleaned, reassembled, and it worked. Don't know exactly why but the knurled round nuts holding the fuel gauge on the rear board must be at a certain tension, or so it seems.

FF

i have the same exact problem with my 76...have done every fix suggested, grounds, new sender, in this thread and the gauge still pegs to full 99% of the time with an occasional flutter to what i assume to be a good reading

Esty, I would suspect an intermittent short in the signal wire, try unplugging the sender and make sure the end cannot touch ground, then drive around and see if the gauge does anything, if it shows anything other than empty then there is a short to ground somewhere between the trunk and the gauge or something is screwey with the gauge itself, to narrow that down you can disconnect the big plug from the back of the cluster and disconnect the sender signal wire and get out your handy multimeter and test the signal wire for ground, at this point the wire should be isolated so if it shows ground then that is your culprit.