supark

windshield different between square tail and round tail?

6 posts / 728 viewsLast Reply

Purchased a second hand windshield in really good shape for my round tail and it's definitely not the right size. Guessing that the windshield changed between square and round tail? Otherwise I'm a little boggled. I'd always thought that the body was essentially unchanged except for the tail lights and larger cut outs for impact bumpers...

windshield from the "standard" 2002--and since neither were imported to the US, finding a used one is kinda unlikely.

Is your replacement windshield OEM or aftermarket? And are you sure it's the glass, or could it be the gasket. Many owners have had problems with aftermarket gaskets (specifically URO) not fitting properly, while the OEM BMW gaskets do. Also there are two different gaskets, one for the earlier cars and another for the later ones. Go to realoem.com and check for part numbers and when they were used.

Where does it seem to not fit

cheers

mike

One other possibility... Windshields and Rear windows are very close in appearance, if you only have one or the other in front of you - Except for the heater wires in most rear windows. There's a chance you have a rear window. Look closely at yours if the curvature seems wrong for a windshield.

One other possibility... Windshields and Rear windows are very close in appearance, if you only have one or the other in front of you - Except for the heater wires in most rear windows. There's a chance you have a rear window. Look closely at yours if the curvature seems wrong for a windshield.

Arg actually I think this might be the answer. I should go downstairs and check but yeah the shape of the windshield overall is slightly different - there's no way it'd fit even with a different gasket. The top edges are more rounded than the opening.

From memory, without going out to the car in the shop, I think the rear window has more curvature on the lower outside corners- the windshield is flatter with a more uniform gentler curve.

I have heard of different widths on the front glass. I think the difference was ~ 1/4" IIRC. A friend in MA had been given a used piece of glass for his '75 and it was slightly wider than what he had, an did not fit nicely. I gave him a spare used glass I had, and it was narrower then the piece he was struggling with. The glass I gave him dropped in like he expected.

I also have a new (new 3 years ago) piece of glass in my car which is impossible to set right. I tried 3 times and a glass guy that does it for a living tried & it's still not right. I'm convinced it's too wide. It's aftermarket.

Scott