subie

Need help m20 swap ( cant get to idle)

20 posts / 1059 viewsLast Reply

I have a 75 2002 that i swapped a (1990) m20 with g260 trans. I Have been working on this car for the past 10 months got it running about 2 days ago. The problem i am having is it wont idle for the life of me. when u crank it up its starts out as High idle for about 8 seconds then it just immediately revs down then revs back up and just doesn't stop in that sequence. I tried swapping parts with my convertible that runs fine. I tried swapping air flow meter, Idle control valve. I looked for vacuum leaks with brake clean could not find anything. I also Put all new seals and gaskets except for the head gaskets have all new relay's (main,fuel,02) New crank sensor, timing belt exc. I am using the 173 ECU (dme). bosch 044 fuel pump. If their is anyone that could help me out or point me in the right the direction i would greatly appreciate. thanks.

-Andrew

I will check again thanks for your info these things can be frustrating.

Did you use brake cleaner or starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks. While brake cleaner is definitely flammable, I feel like it might also have a detrimental effect on the rubber intake boots and connectors. I'd try starting fluid next time, less chance of harming components.

I have a 1989 325ix that exhibited those same symptoms. I also have a 1989 325iC. (Both are M20s, of course.) When I couldnt solve the fluctuating idle, I finally started swapping parts between the two.

My problem turned out to be the computer. When I swapped the two computers, the 325ix ran perfectly, and the 325iC now had the wildly fluctuating idle.

I swapped them back, and the problem returned to the ix, and the iC was fine.

I bought a replacement off ebay for about 65 bucks, installed it.... problem solved.

Do you have a way to swap in a known good unit as I did? I think one of mine was the 173 model, and the other was slightly different, btw..... but it didnt matter, as I recall. Day um, I just threw that old bad unit out in the trash last week too, after finding it in the garage. Otherwise I would get you the number off it. Sorry.

Good luck.

Go search 'smoke test' at r3vlimited.

Jim Levie is the patron saint of intake leaks.

If it passes that test, then yeah, icv and ecu.

But smoke it first.

t

You can always break out your bottle of propane and try to create a little rev as well.

yes, for m20 issues, r3vlimited.com is a good source. idle fluxuation is an extremely common problem with m20's and there are a lot of well documented troubleshooting procedures.

did you pull the injectors and have them professionally cleaned?

Thanks everyone for all the input. I have not

Had the injectors proffesionally cleaned I'm going

To try the smoke test tomorrow at work we have a

Smoke machine. If that come back good I'm gonna swap

Ecu with my convertible. One of the weird things that is

Happening is when I pull out the oil dipstick

It helps out the idle. And if I unplug the Icv

The car dies and the injectors keep spraying

Fuel when the motor is not running until I plug the icv back in.

Thanks again for all your help will keep you updated.

This symptom is common in e30s. It's usually your idle control valve not working correctly. This can happen because it's not getting a signal from the ECU, which is likely if switching ICVs didn't affect your symptoms.

You should verify continuity from the ICV pins (there should be two) to the ECU plug. I don't remember the pin #s offhand, but you can get them in the ETM which I'm sure you have.

if I unplug the Icv

The car dies and the injectors keep spraying

Fuel when the motor is not running

Ooo, it really shouldn't be able to do that- the ECU's SUPPOSED to

kill the fuel pump when rpm's drop below 300.

Be ready for the ecu (or something in its wiring) to be in error.

t