florida2002m3

Of all the weird things.......

8 posts / 1096 viewsLast Reply

Car has been sitting for a few weeks waiting for parts. Installed new radiator, alternator bushings, bearings....

I have had the battery disconnected and on a tender. Last night i charged the battery fully.

Now for the twilight zone: When I turn the key, it turns over really slowly, like a dead battery. As soon as i touch the gas pedal the car jumps right into a roar and runs fine afterwards. The starter just ticks once now. If i have my foot on the gas at all, it turns over a few times and starts right up.

Voltage is good at battery, havent tested the drop while starting yet, or voltage at starter. I do plan on jumping into it next weekend, but figured i would ask the experts first.

No pedal: acts like a dead battery, "click, click"

Pedal engaged a bit: acts as it has in the past, "turn, turn, vroooom"

Any ideas? Please and thanks,

KG

If the ground to the engine is bad, the ground path from engine back to battery is through the accelerator pedal linkage....

mike

Mike is DEAD ON on this one! I've seen throttle linkage (the horiz rod to the firewall) get RED F**kin' HOT as it acts as an engine ground. Make sure you have a) good ground from battery to body of car (near brake fluid reservoir usualy) and B) that the engine block is ALSO grounded to the body. Orig grounding point is in front of the starter under a 17mm very short bolt.

Had a spring on my throttle connection that turned into a glowing coil way back when on my o2. And yes, I burnt my fingers good. Bad ground strap from engine to frame was the cause.

dlm ny country

Thats why i asked you guys!!!! I just measured the block to ground, 10 ohms, rod to ground 1 ohm. lol. Thanks guys, will address it tomorrow.

done that with the choke cable...

t

Its not the size that counts :) Its the connection. The connection to the starter plate was very corroded. Dremel and a wire brush cleaned it right up. Works like a charm now.