Stu

Engine Block Identification

5 posts / 1405 viewsLast Reply

OK, so I knew that the engine in my '76 wasn't numbers matching. But, I didn't realize that the number stamped on the block doesn't coincide with a 2002 block. Here is what is stamped above the flywheel:

1484A031

I checked the numbers on Real OEM and came up with two very different results. The site only lets you enter 7 digits (the last 7). An '02 only has 7, mine has 8. Here are the 2 entries and results:

1484A03: A 1985 E30 316 M10

484A031: A 1977 E12 525 M30

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Also, I have an E12 head, stamp below the E12 says "87" so I assume it is an '87 casting.

Those numbers on the block don't coincide with any VIN numbers. It's strictly a parts code signifying that it is a remannufactured engine. Most remannufactured engines in that time were actually new castings. That's a good thing.

of an M10.

It could be a factory remanufactured block. This is the most likely explanation on a US car because an E30 316 engine would be an unlilkely junkyard find in the US--never imported here.

Factory reman engines have all sorts of strange numbers stamped on the serial number pad, so that would be my guess...

mike

(edited)
On 10/20/2012 at 0:00 PM, Stu said:

OK, so I knew that the engine in my '76 wasn't numbers matching. But, I didn't realize that the number stamped on the block doesn't coincide with a 2002 block. Here is what is stamped above the flywheel:

1484A031

Just to close the loop, Stu, the decoding of this information was included in a BMW Technical Reference Information bulletin, originally shared to this forum by JohnH:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=129207

Thus,

1484 A 031

Is:

(1.) a factory-remanufactured exchange engine ("A"),

(2.) for a "1974-75 from 1975" U.S. car ("21", which seems to include California-only 1976 cars, thus the awkward "from 1975" language),

(3.) completed in March ("03") of

(4.) 1991 ("1" AND the 1987-dated head eliminates 1981 if the head has not been replaced since the engine was remanufactured), and

(5.) having serial number 1484 (resets monthly, I believe).

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv