cheaptoads

test drove a z4 today...

4 posts / 465 viewsLast Reply

... and although that car certainly likes to get where its going, it still wasn't as fun as driving my 73'...

Guest gliding_serpent

Drove my dads z4 m coupe last night. Fun, but overkill for the street to the point of near frustration. Great car.... But the track is essential to appreciate what it is.

My 2002 is just a pleasure to drive. My e90 328 is a great all round practical and fun car, but the 2002 has heart like no modern car does.

I think the best car is about balance for the application. The z4 m coupe is just too much of everything for the street. The 2002 is about perfect. You need to work a bit harder for your speed.

Key West last spring--great fun to drive and amazing performance--you'd never know it was "only" 2 liters and turbocharged. Mileage was from a low of 28 mpg in the mountains to 34 in the GA and FL flatlands. Road trip story will be in the Roundel in the next coupla months.

Like all newer BMWs, it does (almost) everything well, without demanding much skill from the driver--unlike 2002s, with reward a good driver and punish a bad one...

That engine in a 2002 (with equally good brakes)....hoo doggies!

mike

I test drove a Z4 about 3 years ago, I was planing on buying one as a present to myself on my 62nd :), I have a back ground with British sports car of all types 60 and 70's vintage before my 2002. I found the Z4 very balanced and predictable car with a lot of comfort and little driver skill needed, it lacked a felling you were part of the car and I felt it isolated you from the road and driving experience ( fun) :). So I looked at the other options available for about a year and after a 6 month search found and bought a BMW Evergreen 2000 M Roadster, I would described it as a Beast hidden in a good looking body. It is a car that lets you sense everything of the driving experience and requires the driver to know what the hell they are doing (fun):). Cost after purchase and bring all the front and rear suspension back to new condition including bilstien sport, tires, cross drilled rotors, ceramic brake pads and all needed work for just preventive and need wear maintenance, I have less than 25% of what Z4 's sticker cost in the car, I had it over 2 years now and can't drive it any where with out someone commenting or asking about it. Great car it's a keeper.

Harry

post-18206-13667665788362_thumb.jpg

post-18206-13667665789131_thumb.jpg

post-18206-13667665789904_thumb.jpg