hegedus

Driver Side Mirror Question

5 posts / 929 viewsLast Reply

My mirror keeps falling off. The real problem is that the door does not close well with out slamming it. I am trying to figure out where it is hanging up. But in the mean time that has caused the mirror to come off.

At first I thought is was due to wear on the fit of the bracket. I thought the acre had worn away and lost hold. So I replaced the bracket and that worked for a while, but it has come off again. I lost the gasket at that time. I ordered new brackets and gasket.

Looking at the parts I have some questions if I have a matching set?

The mirror part number is 1821793.1 and without the last .1 a part search shows up in MT parts list as the right mirror with the last .1 it comes back as an error.

I ordered some more replacements including the bracket and gasket from Rogerstii. Looking at them carefully they do not seem to match up in size.

For the bracket to engage with the mirror it has to align just right and then only a small part of the bracket is in contact with the mirror. The gasket is obviously for a different mirror. The bracket and gasket seem to match. So what is amiss here do I have the wrong bracket and gasket or the wrong mirror?

post-19788-13667665697151_thumb.jpg

post-19788-13667665697992_thumb.jpg

post-19788-13667665698444_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Hard to tell from the pics if the mirror is fitting on the bracket correctly. You do know that there is a small set screw on the mirror to hold it on the bracket?

As far as slamming the door, make sure you have the 1/2 inch or so piece of plastic on the tip of the door latch (the u-shaped part attached to the door - the plastic goes on the end of the arm that rotates and holds the door closed against the part that is on the b pillar.

but don't recall the application (E21 mirror/part?). Perhaps you could find a longer set screw.

The gaskets have always been a tight fit - get one edge on & the other comes loose! Just requires patience, unless you have the wrong one.

Guest Anonymous

trapezoidal mirror since the gasket is narrow and the bracket is short.

[email protected]