323IJOE

Wiring harness help please

15 posts / 1697 viewsLast Reply

hy guys ive been going through my harness the past couple days and i need some help figuring out what a couple relays and such, ive been following the diagram i have but some stuff doesn't seem to be on there or is different from what i have. heres some pictures of what im looking for

cannon pictures 608

cannon pictures 606

IMG_2158

as stated in this picture the #8 relay/connecter for whatever relay is shown in the engine is not there anymore, I didnt cut anything out do im a bit stumped on this one

IMG_2159

IMG_2161

IMG_2160

if you guys could help me out that would be awesome, I've been digging through these wires for the past 2 days now

I'll get you started: #5,6, & 7 are the low beam, horn, and high beam relays, and #8 is the voltage regulator. #11 is the windshildshild wiper/ washer relay.

Bob Napier

1 went to an emissions sensor I believe (I could tell you if it were still plugged into something, could also be for electric choke)

2,3,4 are part of your emissions system as well

5,6,7 relays already answered, 8 is the voltage regulator for your alternator.

9 and 10 I cannot see in the picture, too small

If you are de-smogging the car you can get rid of all the blue sheathed wire and replace it with a single wire from where it plugged into the fusebox to the positive terminal on your coil (tear apart the bundle of wires and get the resistor wire out and use that), you can get rid of all the stuff it connects to on the back firewall too. If you replaced your alternator with an internally regulated one then you can get rid of the regulator as well.

Ya, Im getting rid of all that emissions garbage, there is only one wire going into the fuse box from the 2,3&4 relays so I should just snip that, pull the wire going to the coil out of the relay and wire it straight into the fuse box via previoisly snipped wire? makes sense to me

bad news is that all that blue sheath crap is stripped off the wires, so im just going to assume since i cant find any of that big bundle of wires on my diagram that its all emissions related stuff and can be yanked out.

As mentioned above, tear apart the bundle of wires in the blue sheath and get the resistor wire out and use that. If you're running a black coil you need that resister wire. Or, you can install a resistor on the fender over near the coil. Search the Site Search for info on the correct resistor.

Bob Napier

Don't snip the wire, just unplug it from the back of the fusebox. It is the wire you are going to want to reuse anyway. The resistor wire is a larger gauge than the others and has clear insulation, there is a black wire with a stripe attached to the coil end, that can be connected to the starter but isn't necessary, if you are not 100% positive where to connect it on the starter DO NOT USE IT, if you connect it to the wrong terminal it will fry like an egg in about 1 second.

What the black w/stripe wire does is bypass the resistor wire while you are starting to give it an extra boost, you don't really need it but it helps when it is below freezing outside.

well I already cut the wire, like it shows in the picture above it only had one wire going into the fuse box from that whole bundle or relays and such. it did have a black wire coming out of one relay going to the coil but it was not the resistor wire. that wire i found compleyely seperate from the harness that just plugs into the fuse box by itself.

next question is on the wiring diagrams there are certain connections, for example coming off the starter number 20 is a 1 pole connection, which on the diagrami have goes to number 21 which is listed as terminal 50. what is terminal 50??

and i just googled the diagram and this one doesnt seem to even have anything coming off the connction number 20

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/scottsislane/wiring%20schematic%201976/1976BMW2002usaWiringDiagram-1-2.jpg

either way, I have just realised im looking at the wrong diagram for my car which is why things are different, but either way where does that connection go?

and does anyone have the wiring legend,key,list or whatever you want to call it from a 76 USA model?

Guest Anonymous

I have the factory repair manual, the big blue books, the diagrams dont show some of what you are looking for. My question for the pros is dont the electric choke wire and temp sending wire run thru the blue sheathed wires also?

Guest Anonymous

I have the factory repair manual, the big blue books, the diagrams dont show some of what you are looking for. My question for the pros is dont the electric choke wire and temp sending wire run thru the blue sheathed wires also?

ok so I have the majority figured out yet there are a few peices that are giving me problems.

seat belt time relay?? whats it do and do i need it?

IMG_2184

Egr reactor service switch?? can i cut this out?

IMG_2185

and lastly, is there any point to this connection? as far as i can see on the wiring nothing plugs into the other side of it.

IMG_2186

other things i cant seem to find pictures of conections are the ignition buzzer

which I am assuming is the 2 pole connection off the hazard switch,

another issue is coming off the "emissions junk" there is a temp sensor off of the retard relay, do i still need that?

Temp sending wire does not run in that bundle, technically neither does electric choke, you car did not come with an electric choke but there was an unused accessory wire that worked perfectly for that purpose in the your emissions bundle so if you had that plugged into an electric choke then you will need to run a new fused ignition (+) wire to your choke.

ok so I have the majority figured out yet there are a few peices that are giving me problems.

seat belt time relay?? whats it do and do i need it?

you don't need it, you can leave it unplugged.

Egr reactor service switch?? can i cut this out?

You don't need it, just leave it unplugged, on 76's it triggered a service light based on mileage I believe. resist the urge to cut wires!

and lastly, is there any point to this connection? as far as i can see on the wiring nothing plugs into the other side of it.

That was for an uninstalled accessory, those tap directly into your parking light and low beam circuits, they come in handy when installing car alarms or buzzers to remind you to turn off you headlight, etc...

another issue is coming off the "emissions junk" there is a temp sensor off of the retard relay, do i still need that?

the one that is plugged into the intake manifold? if so then no you don't need it either

resist the urge to cut wires!

thanks for the help, only reason i ask if i can cut them out is because I'm cleaning up the harness and completely shaving the engine bay, all other wires that are cluttering/tangling up space need to go, i dont want to deal with them lol, I'd much rather clip out the pigtails and bypass them.

and I always have a spare wire harness for a back up ;)