jrhone

Upper timing cover oil leak repair?

3 posts / 600 viewsLast Reply

So my oil leak comes from the upper timing cover. Any tips on swapping the gaskets and fixing this? Does the bottom sit on the head gasket? If so is there any precautions to take so I don't damage the head gasket? Also the bolts and washers there now do not appear to be the correct bolts. What size bolts and washers do I need? Thx in advance.

Yes, the bottom does sit on the head gasket. Earlier this year I pulled mine off without thinking and damaged the (stock) head gasket. That section does not have to deal with oil under pressure so I just used extra sealant when I put it back together. I don't have any tips for taking it off without damaging it, perhaps careful work with a razor blade?

Real OEM should give you the correct bolt lengths and washer sizes. Remember to trim the two gaskets flush to the bottom of the upper timing cover when you put it back together.

Fred

cover should have been milled at the same time so they remain the same top-to-bottom height. If you notice a slight difference in height at the joint between head and cover on the surface where the valve cover gasket sits, then the head was milled sometime in the past. To really make it right, you should take the cover to a machine shop and have the same amount milled off the bottom edge, where it meets the head gasket.

If the two pieces are level, then it's just a matter of cleaning the joints and re-sealing 'em.

cheers

mike