winstontj

Stahl Header Question

6 posts / 1433 viewsLast Reply

I was up at my storage unit yesterday and I'm amazed at the amount of crap I accumulated before buttoning up the BMW for a few years. I've got so much stuff I don't even know what it all is...

So I found this old header I picked up (most probably from a member here) and I have no idea what it is. I know it's a 2002 header for an M10 but I don't know how desirable it is or if it's worth sending out to get re-coated, just use as-is, sell it, chuck it, etc.

I'm going to be starting on a NA stroker m10 in the next few months so that's what I have in mind to pair this with. If it's not appropriate I'd rather sell it and move on vs. hang on to junk I don't need. The motor I plan to build will be fuel injected but N/A. An M10 with S14 crank, old "log style" intake with M20 TB and megasquirt.

Should I keep this thing and/or send it out to be coated?

IMG-20121018-00489.jpg

IMG-20121018-00488.jpg

IMG-20121018-00487.jpg

IMG-20121018-00486.jpg

IMG-20121018-00485.jpg

IMG-20121018-00484.jpg

What is the OD of the primaries and secondary? I would sand blast it and then look it over very carefully to see how many micro-cracks are in it and if that rust is just surface or has really weakened the structure.

The '69 I recently bought had a similar header (though no Stahl plate) and had a few small cracks both radially (at the collector) and axially (at bends in the header). The header has 1 3/8" primaries. It had been exposed to the elements for some time (coating was flaking off) and the metal seems to be pretty weak. That said, I cleaned it up, welded the damaged areas, painted it with high-temp exhaust paint and slapped it back in the car. I will replace it with a slightly larger header when I rebuild the motor to a higher power level.

If your header turns out to be in good shape I'd say it is worth reconditioning. New 2002 headers from Stahl range from about $450-$850 (depending on model and size), so refurbishing may be worth it. Even if you don't use it, someone else may be interested in it.

Fred '73tii & '69GT3

That's a good design- as Fred said, measure the primaries...

Stahl no longer makes headers, so if it's structurally sound,

it's worth cleaning up, coating, and using.

Or selling.

t

Stahl no longer makes headers

I heard something like that a while ago, but talked with Judy at Stahl a few weeks ago and all of the 2002 headers are available. So, as far as I know, Stahl is not out of the header business.--Fred

Stahl no longer makes headers

I heard something like that a while ago, but talked with Judy at Stahl a few weeks ago and all of the 2002 headers are available. So, as far as I know, Stahl is not out of the header business.--Fred

I called Stahl today...The 2002 headers are still available.

If you want to use it on your street car, I would have it ceramic coated inside and out. Ceramic helps keep heat out of the metal. G