Guest Anonymous

Was really hoping to buy my 1st 2002 but

10 posts / 586 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Wow was this a shocker! I was really excited after talking to the owners a few times. Then drove up there with money in my pocket. Please lookup the car throughly before you buy it. The folks who owns it are very nice people but I must say the car is misrepresented. This car is so rusty, man! There is rust in every panel of the car. The pictures that were posted are from long time ago. Since then the car has rusted more more. There are bubbles every where. So bad that chunks fell off from the hood. The spare tire is seen hanging from outside the car. Rusted rockers. Rusted floor pans front and back. Transmission broken. Engine never rebuilt (has close to 300k). All parts are original. Is that a good thing? Maybe for real collector cars but not for the 2002 as I was really hoping to get it as my driver. Oh well, I drove the two hours to go see it and was very disappointed. Not to mention the interior was shot also. There are holes big enough to store coke cans in TX winters. The lady owner mentioned that the seats were redone 10 years ago and they were in good shape!! All rubbers trash. Dash cracked, rims rusted, tires totally flat and cracked, carpet shot. etc etc. I pass.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/3315669443.html

Welcome to the world of the 2002... look for a california car... And search the FAQ for sale section for cars.

There are good ones out there. It is better to pay a little more and get a good one vs saving a little and spending a LOT later...

I have been there and done that....

This is a tight little community (the FAQ)

Keep in mind, this is not a cheap car if you want it done right. After 40 years, things just wear or rot.

This car -- I seem to recall it's an automatic -- was discussed on this forum within the last year. I'm not sure how to find that thread but there was some discussion of its color: Granatrot Metallic. There was also some discussion about converting it to a 5-speed, as the automatics have slightly wider transmission tunnels.

But it does look good from 20 feet!

Steve

especially for a 2002. They sold nearly 90,000 of 'em in the US, so they're not exactly rare. And buying a rust bucket is gonna be a real PITA.

If you're in Texas there should be plenty of pretty rust free cars there (except around Houston and the coast) so just be patient.

As the Smokey Robinson/Miracles song says, "...my Mama told me, you gotta shop around."

It took me almost 9 months to find a nice E30 318is, and I had to drive to Tulsa to get it

cheers, and happy hunting

mike

I do recall seeing that car and it being discussed too...It is a looker from 20 feet...

Bottom line... If it is rusty, you are only seeing half the rust, maybe not even that much.

I would walk away. There are a lot of non rusty cars still out there.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Austinmf....that is what I thought when I saw the rusts. If that much rust can be seen outside just imagine where they originated from. The car absolutely looks good in the pictures but it is so sad. I was singing on my way upto see the car in excitement but when I pulled into to the driveway, all I wanted to do is get back in my car as fast as I could but I kept looking and looking and finally I got down and looked under and I asked the lady if she is sure it has never spent any time in north or east? She promised it was in her driveway all it's life. I still think they are forgetting something here. Because under the car is all one orange rust color not to mention there are holes on all the floors, frame close to fender and sub frame rott etc. Anyway, it was very sad. Nothing like it was said over the phone.

Good pass!

Not wasted time at all, a great education. You did well to walk away. Keep hunting, they are out there. Better to buy a solid car with poor looks then a car like the one you looked at.