• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Hydraulic Hood Struts?

M2002Evo

Hi 02'ers,

Has anyone on this forum fitted hydraulic hood struts to their 2002? I'm looking at removing the torsion bar to reduce weight. Would appreciate any help as I expect I'm not the first to think of this modification. Ideally, i'd like to use the existing hinge points if possible. Any help and advice appreciated.

search lift supports, hood supprts, and gas struts for some ideas. I can send pics if you want them.

He's got a cool setup. If I were going that route, that's what I would do.

Thought I had pics of his car but I don't.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

search lift supports, hood supprts, and gas struts for some ideas. I can send pics if you want them.

Please send pictures as i'm not very familiar with the search engine on this forum. Would be great to see the set up. My car is under prep for respray so its a good time to make the modification.

Really appreciate the support>

Please send pictures as i'm not very familiar with the search engine on this forum. Would be great to see the set up. My car is under prep for respray so its a good time to make the modification.

Really appreciate the support>

it works just like any other search engine. you click on site search, type what you want, and hit enter.....not that hard to figure out..

2xM3

That is similar to what biltwok2 did. The downfall is that the hood doesn't quite open as far as with the original setup and the struts don't help in opening the hood at all because of the angle of the dangle. The other downside is it's hard to get to the front of the motor as the struts are a little in the way. Waterpump repair comes to mind. The main reason for doing this is usually the owner went to fiberglass fenders and or hood and now there is no provision for the factory setup. This is the reason I didn't go this way as I don't have the brackets on the top of the fenders.

Someone (Paul Cane?) made a cool little setup with struts right on the hood hinges themselves.

I ended up making a prop rod that I'm still not in love with.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades