kenped86

Broken selector shaft

8 posts / 512 viewsLast Reply

Today I intended to replace my center bearing but not having the properly sized wrench for that job put a stop to that project and instead I chose to install all my new shift linkage rebuild parts. During disassembly I must have twisted against the selector shaft wrong and broke the end. This is the shaft that goes into the transmission and has a ball end underneath a joint a spring sleeve. What I did was break the ball end off. Anybody have any tips on replacing the entire selector shaft?

Ken

Find another transmission.

Seriously.

t

Find another transmission.

Seriously.

t

+1. You can find a good 4 speed for free from a lot of people on the FAQ who have done a 5 speed swap, I got a low mileage 75 box for $100. How'd you break the ball off? I don't remember it being very brittle when I rebuilt the shifter upon installation of the trans...

But replacing the selector shaft is more work than it's worth unless your transmission is like a hand massaged MM or Alpina, guessing it's not...

Wow, that is very unusual. Must have been damaged previously, that piece would not just twist off. Perhaps it can just be welded back on. That's what I'd do, but then I have a MIG welder.

Fred '74tii & '69GT3

To replace the selector shaft, you have to dismantle the entire transmission. The shaft goes out thru the front for the rear case. Like Toby said it you don't know how to rebuild the transmission, get another one. G

Wow, that is very unusual. Must have been damaged previously, that piece would not just twist off. Perhaps it can just be welded back on. That's what I'd do, but then I have a MIG welder.

Fred '74tii & '69GT3[/quote

I feel like you'd have to be a pretty good welder, and be able to weld it right back where it came from or you'd have sloppy shifts and missed gears- just that part of the linkage becoming loose on mine allowed tons of play between gears.

If you do have it welded, make sure that the heat doesn't get to the seal. G