oshuwah

Bumper Options

16 posts / 4856 viewsLast Reply

I am having some rust repaired on my '76 and want to drop the GIGANTIC front bumper while I am at it.

Has anyone had any experience with theses:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~pchamaa/kamei_repro_spoiler.htm

Or any other suggestions for front bumper/spoiler options?

I really love this look:

DSC00463.jpg

As for the rear I have not found anything to replace the '76 rear bumper other than a time consuming conversion like this one:

http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/rearbumper.htm

finished.jpg

Any pro's here have some suggestions?

holes for chrome bumper brackets are already there, plugged with small plastic plugs. You'll just need to cover/fill the mounting holes for original large bumpers.

In front you'll have to cut new mounting holes to properly position a chrome bumper, otherwise if you use the original mounts they'll be way too high.

So long as you're not concerned with stock appearance and don't park where you can get bumped, you might consider a front air dam to replace the big bumper as it'll cover the original bumper mounting holes.

cheers

mike

Any idea where I can buy these chrome rear bumpers?

I've got a set of used chrome bumpers with long ends - as shown in the mytii article - in Southern California - email me (button above) if interested for photos and to discuss. -KB

You don't have to cut new holes to mount a chrome front bumper. Anton here on the faq makes a nice mounting kit. The bumper bolts right on, at the correct height. He has a rear kit as well.

If you want a rechromed bumper, call Aardvarc Racing. You will need a core.

028_zpsf82e3fcb.jpg

After pricing these out I've decided the chrome bumpers are just too expensive. I would either delete both bumpers if I do a full respray and fill the holes in or keep the park benches I currently have.

ain't nothin' wrong with the "park benches". unlike all the other options (including earlier model chrome stock ones), they actually provide some level of "bumper" protection.

and they are great as places to sit, put your beer, mount lights that wont vibrate, rest tools, and jump on to settle springs after jacking up the car....

;-)

ain't nothin' wrong with the "park benches". unlike all the other options (including earlier model chrome stock ones), they actually provide some level of "bumper" protection.

and they are great as places to sit, put your beer, mount lights that wont vibrate, rest tools, and jump on to settle springs after jacking up the car....

;-)

Ha! Now, Marshall, you're starting to sound like me... ;-p

Tom

The 320i bumper fits the front lines of the 2002 perfectly. I cut some pipe to replace the bumper shocks to the get a close-to-the-body fit.

post-22741-13667665881789_thumb.jpg

post-22741-13667665885875_thumb.jpg

;-)

Ha! Now, Marshall, you're starting to sound like me... ;-p

Tom

none of this "delete", "replace" or "tuck" crap...leave those big bumpers on and out there!

squaretails rule!!!!!

totally agree, a place to sit, place your gas cap, your beverage, tools, aux lights... and if you accidentally drive into a wall - you'll be OK!

Here's to big bumpers!

DSCN0119.jpg

The 320i bumper fits the front lines of the 2002 perfectly. I cut some pipe to replace the bumper shocks to the get a close-to-the-body fit.

That looks real nice!!! I like