davidmcw

Bumper Job Finally Finished!

10 posts / 805 viewsLast Reply

Well, I finally got the bumper back together. Threw away the very heavy stock bumper mounts and fabricated shorter, lighter bumper mounts to move the bumper closer to the body. I replaced the driving lights white plastic covers with chrome plated wire guards. Lacquered the bumper with the same clear coating I used on the wheels. Renewed the black trim with some stuff that's supposed to last forever. (Ha ha ha!) Finally, I exchanged the sealed beam headlights with halogen headlights. I do need to wire the driving lights.so there will be no wires coming out of the grill.

Now onto the back bumper!

PS: I guess I better aim the headlights too! Jan, my wife wanted to know when the car would be finished. I answered, "Never"!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u432/davidmcw/P1010302_zpse2a31ce3.jpg

Utilize the bumper mounting bolts on the back side of the bumper blade, fasten a short piece of heavy bare copper wire (like a piece of household wire stripped of its insulation) under the nut to form a clip, lead the wires back behind the bumper through these clips to the driver's side bumper bracket, then along the underside of the mounting bracket and through the rubber grommet that surrounds the left side bumper bracket. From there run the wire to your relay and you're done--wires will be almost invisible, especially if you use wires with black insulation.

Use at least 12 gauge to avoid voltage drop--and run a separate ground wire to avoid having to rely on at least three bolt/nut joints for current to pass through.

cheers

mike

your car looks great!

what did you use to refinish the bumpers? mine are looking a little tired and i'd like to give them a little attention. they've been unloved for the last 38 years. any tips would be super helpful.

PS: I guess I better aim the headlights too! Jan, my wife wanted to know when the car would be finished. I answered, "Never"!

Hahaha I follow you...That's very true, there's always something else you can get to 99.99% but that 100% seems unreachable.

By the way what did you use for that rubber trim?

what did you use to refinish the bumpers? mine are looking a little tired and i'd like to give them a little attention. they've been unloved for the last 38 years. any tips would be super helpful.

Thanks, Mike. Being an old woodworker I use a 6" random orbit sander with 80 grit alumina oxide grit to remove the anodizing. What a job! Then used a 1/4 sheet sander small steps in grit up to 1200 grit. Switched over to a buffing wheel and rouge polish. Finally I used lacquer to seal the aluminum from oxidizing. Lots of work. next time I'll look for a metal refinisher, even if i have to ship the bumpers to them. I could not find anyone locally to polish aluminum.

Love the light guards!

Got them at www.victoriabritish.com/ for $20 + shipping.

Utilize the bumper mounting bolts on the back side of the bumper blade, fasten a short piece of heavy bare copper wire (like a piece of household wire stripped of its insulation) under the nut to form a clip, lead the wires back behind the bumper through these clips to the driver's side bumper bracket, then along the underside of the mounting bracket and through the rubber grommet that surrounds the left side bumper bracket. From there run the wire to your relay and you're done--wires will be almost invisible, especially if you use wires with black insulation.

Use at least 12 gauge to avoid voltage drop--and run a separate ground wire to avoid having to rely on at least three bolt/nut joints for current to pass through.

cheers

mike

Thanks for the tip, Mike, I appreciate it.

What did you use for the rubber on the bumper? Looks great. Is that just dressing or something more permanent?