Koblenz

Transmission mount, guibo, center bearing change now fan...

13 posts / 914 viewsLast Reply

...rubs the lower portion of the IE radiator. What is the culprit?

I recently installed the IE radiator. Then front subframe bushing about 3 months later. After the subframe bushing install, I had some rubbing of the fan (at the top of the radiator) with aggressive braking. Thought I would change on the motor mounts. However before that could happen the guibo, center bearing and transmission mounts needed to be changed.

NOW the bottom of the fan rubs most of the time and more so with braking.

Is it the tranmission mounts? The fan is angled back at the top and dam close at the bottom.

Also the drive shaft was changed out. Any help would be appreciated. I have a car event to go to Sunday

right side motor mount (if your using original rubber type)

had an angle bracket that limits the travel/flex of the mount foward.

you got that stop bracket on your passenger side mount ?

also sounds like the motor mounting angle is wonky or your new

radiator installation is wonky - the fan and rad core should be

parallel to each other -??? got photos

could be wonky mfg water pump that is not to the correct

specs also placing the fan blade too far foward ????

Try adjusting the passenger side motor mount stop. It's a flat steel piece that curves up in front of the passenger side mounting rubber block. You wouldn't think this would have such an effect, but I've solved the infamous "lower radiator/fan collision" issue by adjusting this piece.

see photo here: item number 11

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=11_2414&hg=11&fg=10

If that fails, try shims / washers under the rear trans mount to raise the back of the drivetrain - keeping in mind you need to ensure the driveshaft isn't flexing the new guibo/rubber flex disk from misalignment!

It's also possible that the nose panel on your car has been replaced and is not properly aligned 100%.

HTH!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Just got off night shift so when I wake its going to be car time. I like the leads you have given and will investigate.

I wil add photos

Also > Check your radiator mounting tabs to see if they were welded onto the core so that the core sits flush with the nose opening. Some radiator mounts will space the core closer to the fan.

Good morning. Coffee (not beer) and under the hood, under the car we go boys.

This is the pax side. Looks like it is missing the stopper.

rmountpaxside.jpg

MISSING - SURE IS - spend $15 for a new Original BMW rubber mount

also when you order the limit stop bracket.

The drivers side rubber is probably just as old and ready

for the s-can - and the transmission mount should be replaced

once every 5-years also.

getting close

Found an OE stopper from a friend locally. The mounts will have to be ordered. Getting hopeful about making the event on Sunday.

Unless you have a slip-joint in your drive shaft, the drive shaft, guibo and differential locate the engine just as much as the motor mount (in the fore and aft direction). Install new engine and transmission mounts, and then, if needed, adjust the diff position so that the drive shaft is not pushing the transmission and engine forward via the guibo. The diff mounting holes are slotted.

Edit: Added "Unless you have a slip-joint in your drive shaft".

The drive shaft, guibo and differential locate the engine as much as the motor mount (in the fore and aft direction). Install new engine and transmission mounts, and then, if needed, adjust the diff position so that the drive shaft is not pushing the transmission and engine forward via the guibo. The diff mounting holes are slotted.

Really? That makes sense.

The tranny mount is new. The guibo is new. The used drive shaft is new to the car.

I was not aware of variable positioning of the diff. That gives me more to work with.

Thanks

"Houston, we do NOT have a problem."

My thanks to all who contributed.

After placing in a NLA stopper and shimming the tranny mount my fan clacking is gone. TYBJ!

The Sunday euro meet is back on.

Again,, my thanks to you guys for your help.

I love this site. I forget how lucky we have it, to have a great collection of '02 owners who know their stuff. That saying, ".....the most important tool in your 2002 box" is so true.