bimmerboi

high idle problem

7 posts / 926 viewsLast Reply

So last night when i drove home from work i noticed my idle was stuck at about 2k. This morning i found that my mechanical fuel pump was leaking pretty bad. is there anyway that it would cause my idle to be high or is there something wrong with the adjustment? I have just the stock solex carb.

but get the leaking fuel pump fixed immediately before you have a fire. You'll note it's in close proximity to the alternator...

One bbl or 2 bbl Solex? If it's a 1 bbl Solex, disconnect the carb from the linkage and see if the throttle butterfly is sticking or if the choke is partway on. If it's a 2 bbl Solex, check the linkage between the first and second barrels and also make sure the choke is going completely off.

I'd first check the accelerator linkage, from pedal to carb to see if it's sticking somewhere. With the engine "idling" at 2k rpm, pull on the linkage to see if you can lower the idle back to normal. If you can, start lubricating every pivot point you can find, and check the back side of the accelerator pedal--it's usually gunked up with crud, a missing plastic bushing, rust, etc.

Let us know whatcha find

mike

but get the leaking fuel pump fixed immediately before you have a fire. You'll note it's in close proximity to the alternator...

One bbl or 2 bbl Solex? If it's a 1 bbl Solex, disconnect the carb from the linkage and see if the throttle butterfly is sticking or if the choke is partway on. If it's a 2 bbl Solex, check the linkage between the first and second barrels and also make sure the choke is going completely off.

I'd first check the accelerator linkage, from pedal to carb to see if it's sticking somewhere. With the engine "idling" at 2k rpm, pull on the linkage to see if you can lower the idle back to normal. If you can, start lubricating every pivot point you can find, and check the back side of the accelerator pedal--it's usually gunked up with crud, a missing plastic bushing, rust, etc.

Let us know whatcha find

mike

[quote

Well come to find out a little screw backed itself out on the passenger side of the bottom of the carb and I lost the spring that was behind it. So it must be something with controlling the idle or the choke? Well now I gotta find a new one. Hopefully my new fuel pump will get here soon... Oh and mine is 2 barrel.

behind it" is your idle mixture screw--most all carbs, regardless of make and barrels have one. It's the "fine tuning" for your idle mixture. You're actually kinda lucky it idles at all with that screw missing.

Post whether it's a Weber or Solex, and I'll bet someone on the board has a spare mixture screw and spring they can send you...then check archives on how to adjust for a smooth idle at the proper rpms.

cheers

mike

Yep thats the one! i will definitely try to find a new one asap! thanks so much for you help!

behind it" is your idle mixture screw--most all carbs, regardless of make and barrels have one. It's the "fine tuning" for your idle mixture. You're actually kinda lucky it idles at all with that screw missing.

Post whether it's a Weber or Solex, and I'll bet someone on the board has a spare mixture screw and spring they can send you...then check archives on how to adjust for a smooth idle at the proper rpms.

cheers

mike

Is it the same spring on a 1 bbl? i have the 2bbl

cheers

mike

Is it the same spring on a 1 bbl? i have the 2bbl