wareal

correct instrument cluster

23 posts / 1581 viewsLast Reply

Is the wood grain instrument cluster correct for a 1972 2002? I had a 68 with silver and a 71 with black. TIA

up till late '71, silver.

Then black with black gauges.

Then woodgrain with crosses for squaries.

t

Correct me if I'm mistaken please I have a doubt.

On the silver ones I'm pretty sure I've seen 2002's with black bezels and chrome bezels.

Meaning on some of them the whole case was chrome and on some of them the case was black with the chrome rims and the instruments inside.

Does this mean they were probably painted?

Correct me if I'm mistaken please I have a doubt.

On the silver ones I'm pretty sure I've seen 2002's with black bezels and chrome bezels.

Meaning on some of them the whole case was chrome and on some of them the case was black with the chrome rims and the instruments inside.

Does this mean they were probably painted?

all chrome - 1600-2. Black case - 1600-2 Ti and 2002 up to '71

Wood is for square taillight cars only.

That is what I remember. Thanks for clarifying.

don't know about the states but I think on this side of the pond the wood was reserved for the square light lux models

all chrome - 1600-2. Black case - 1600-2 Ti and 2002 up to '71

That clears it up! Thanks.

black paint covering the chrome background...reason was that Federal safety requirements that took effect on 1 Jan 68 banned "highly reflective surfaces" that could glare in the driver's face. Thus the dull finished chrome wiper blades/arms, dull silver instrument bezels, chrome delete on the dashboard etc. That was a US only requirement for awhile, so European cars still had shiny chrome on wiper arms etc.

cheers

mike

You will always see 02 owners mixing clusters. I have a 74 tii but I don't like the woodgrain look that came on square tail light 02's. I took a black cluster from a 71-73 02, removed the original gauges and installed the crosshair gauges in the black cluster. The black cluster looks so much better than the original woodgrain look.

G-Man

don't know about the states but I think on this side of the pond the wood was reserved for the square light lux models

Nick,

All U.S. square taillights got the wood-grained instrument clusters. But, having little knowledge of bona fide Lux editions -- the option was not available in the U.S. -- I've always wondered whether the Lux trim might be authentic wood. I believe our U.S. wood-grained instrument clusters are simply painted plastic.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Nah, the Lux are the same fake wood you got, I've got one somewhere

The wood grain reminds me of the wood paneling so popular in the 70s. I painted my wood grain flat black with cross hair fuel and tach. Speedo is non crosshair.

Nah, the Lux are the same fake wood you got, I've got one somewhere

Thanks, Nick.

What bothered me years ago, and is still puzzling, is the specific language BMW chose to use in their '75 and '76 U.S. sales brochures.

Both brochures share many of the same photos. And both brochures use the following language just above a photo of the simulated wood instrument cluster:

"Inside the BMW 2002, you will find no simulated wood trim..."

Did anyone at BMW notice this odd juxtaposition?

You may have to click the photo twice to get the right scale to read the text.

Steve

post-21048-13667665674721_thumb.jpg