wegweiser

Lowered spring perches - opinions?

16 posts / 1651 viewsLast Reply

I've been toying with the idea of cutting the perches off a spare set of strut housings and re-welding them 1-2" lower.

My goal would be to retain the stock spring rates and ride quality while lowering the front end a bit. I've grown to love the stock suspension even for high speed / daily use.

Anyone tried this? Pros / Cons? Haven't gone into the measuring phase, but curious to hear experiences with this approach.

Not sure how I'd approach the rear suspension yet. Would like to try something similar that doesn't involve chopping factory springs or permanent mods to the chassis.

post-2748-13667665595456_thumb.jpg

In the long run the stock shocks won't like the lower working area, and wear out faster. You could install bilsteins for lower springs, but then you lose the stock suspension you like..

But, if not lowered too much it might work. A guy at Monroe told me lowering about 40mm kills the shocks in about 500km. True or not, I don´t know, but it sounds like logic if you know how a shock is built.

FWIW: I'm using Bilstein HD inserts, but might take the opportunity to switch to sports. Other than the strut inserts / rear shocks everything else is bone stock and fresh.

I'd thought about the shock travel area and internal valving wear. Not sure how I'll deal with that. Just hoping to get some ideas and thoughts bounced back. Thanks for the insight!

I'm a big fan of an adjustable coilover setup, i.e. Ground Control. Dial in your ride height, a plethora of spring rates, and adjustable Koni inserts. One can get a quite comfortable ride even with a 2" drop.

That being said, we're talkin' about the F-Bomb and you're loving the stock suspension... Just step away from the welder. :-)

You could do it if you still have clearance to tire. Which of course depends on wheel ET and tire size.

But I don't think you notice the difference compared to taking the easy route and just cut the coil. Change in spring rate is so little.

If you like stock or "stockish" driving experience stay away from Bilstein Sports.

Tommy

If you like stock or "stockish" driving experience stay away from Bilstein Sports.

Tommy

second that.

You could always get billie HD inserts for a rabbit and cut your shocks down to match. The lower spring perch would clear a stock Tii steelie with 185x70s - see pic. On the rear you could go with a very thin upper spring pad and lower the spring perch on the trailing arm until it only just clears the CV joint.

Yes, I've thought of this too ;-)

Tommy

second that.

You could always get billie HD inserts for a rabbit and cut your shocks down to match. The lower spring perch would clear a stock Tii steelie with 185x70s - see pic. On the rear you could go with a very thin upper spring pad and lower the spring perch on the trailing arm until it only just clears the CV joint.

Yes, I've thought of this too ;-)

Nick

Your idea seems very workable...but I believe you meant to say cut your HOUSINGS down to match.

Nick

Your idea seems very workable...but I believe you meant to say cut your HOUSINGS down to match.

woops

I've been toying with the idea of cutting the perches off a spare set of strut housings and re-welding them 1-2" lower.

My goal would be to retain the stock spring rates and ride quality while lowering the front end a bit. I've grown to love the stock suspension even for high speed / daily use.

Anyone tried this? Pros / Cons? Haven't gone into the measuring phase, but curious to hear experiences with this approach.

Not sure how I'd approach the rear suspension yet. Would like to try something similar that doesn't involve chopping factory springs or permanent mods to the chassis.

Paul, Bilstein actually offered (back in the good old days...1981 or so) a "Negative Camber Strut" with lowered spring perch. Hardy and Beck made that offering in a "Green Dot" setting. These were the AlpinA style struts with the strut tube functioning as the housing in lieu of the insert style available now. I don't know how much it was lowered, if I had to take a guess it would be an 1" to 1.5". Here is a link to the post I did on the catalogue .....3d page down at the top.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/02/hardy-beck-catalogue-april-1981.html

That being said, we're talkin' about the F-Bomb and you're loving the stock suspension... Just step away from the welder. :-)

This Timex 1000000!!!

Thanks for the insights y'all! Not planning on doing anything in the near near future. I have body panels to weld first...and the thought of modifying a pair of tii struts fills me with a bad, guilty feeling.

I remember the green / red dot Alpina struts Marc mentions. I knew they had different inherent camber but didn't know they also altered spring perch location....leave it to Alpina to make the coolest (and least obtainable) stuff ever. *sigh*

Paul, you have the skill to drop the spring perch down, I think it is a great idea and as indicated in my previous post is (was) done by Bilstein themselves. While there isn't much I would do with your car for obvious reasons, dropping it down some and putting in some Bilsteins (if you haven't already) I personally think would look really cool with your car and of course it is all easily changed back if you don't like some aspect of it.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Paul,

I'm sure you have considered, BUT.... remember to check the clearance for the rim and tire at the anticipated lower position. I'm running IE coil overs and springs but I am limited in lowering the car any further because of the lower spring perch rubbing on the tire.

Todd