nike408

NEED ADVICE ABOUT THIS ISSUE ON MY 2002

4 posts / 570 viewsLast Reply

i recently purchased a 1976 bmw 2002 the car had many things replaced like spark plugs,cables,carburetor,and fuel pump. the car was starting up right and everything no problem i then stopped using it for a week but the car just turns over but dosnt start up, i press the gas and the fuel filter looks empty like if gas dosnt pass through. i then added gas in the carburetor and then with a couple of turns it starts up. It dosnt have electric pump. i need help determining whats the problem

Does it keep running after you get it started and can you see fuel in the filter, or does it die once it uses up the gas you added to the carb? If it keeps running then perhaps you have some kind of slow leak that empties the float bowls after some days.

You either have a clogged fuel line, or your fuel pump has retired. There is a diaphragm in the stock pump that can tear/deteriorate with age, which is my guess. Pull the fuel line off the carb and put it in a bowl. Turn the engine over and see if you get any fuel flow. Other problem could be a clogged fuel pick-up in the gas tank caused by excessive rust, or a stuck needle valve in your carb not allowing fuel to enter the fuel bowl.

I would do the following:

-Check to see if the car keeps running when you pour a bit of gas directly in the carb if not continue to troubleshoot.

-Inspect your fuel filter.

-Take off the hose that feeds the carb and have some one hold it inside a jar while you crank the engine and check to see if you have fuel flow.

As mentioned above you can also clean the strainer on the bottom of the sending unit in the fuel tank.