jrkoupe

what fastener type do I need?..

7 posts / 551 viewsLast Reply

what would be the best choice to secure/screw a dash top gauge housing into dash parcel shelf?....

Ill look at McMaster and Carr....but what type of fastener would secure best?..

best

jrk

a 1/2inch carriage bolt.

your gauge cluster will break before that bolt will ever let go!!!!

pick a 'hot-dipped galvanized' one, too, available at your local marine hardware supply store.

Jerry

thanks for the response BUT your suggestion makes me think I was not clear...... or you are on some serious meds....lol

I want to secure an auxilliary gauge pod ( for 3 gauges)onto the top my dash parcel shelf..

Im thinking 4 little fasteners total....2 on each end of the pod.

Its the typical alpina style 3 gauge rectangle housing....Ill try to get a pic.

You may not need any fasteners. I have an older 3-gauge pod from BMP, and it fits fairly snug into the parcel shelf. I did have to drill a hole down through the dash (gasp!) and the metal subframe to route the gauge wiring, and the friction of the wires in the hole are sufficient to keep the pod in place, even on the track.

'most secure' woudl be to drill all the way through and use small machine screws with nuts...

'easiest while not falling off' (e.g. racecar) would be self- tapping sheetmetal screws...

t

seat belt warning light, remove that and place the gauge pod over the hole left by the warning light housing. Plenty of room for a wiring harness, and two holes in the dash already there to hold the pod in place. And...the gauges are quite visible without having to take your eyes off the road.

I've had that setup on my '73 since 1987 and really like it.

cheers

mike