thehackmechanic

Sucked on my warmup regulator

5 posts / 891 viewsLast Reply

As part of my quest to find the source of my tii's lean running, I removed the warmup regulator and tested it in boiling water. With it off, I verified that the coolant passages weren't blocked. When the water reached 190 degrees, I removed it and verified the piston extended 10mm. This verifies the cold enrichment function of the regulator, since the piston must lift the enrichment lever.

But, in addition, the cool thing is, with the regulator out of the car like this, you can attach a rubber hose to the connection where the auxiliary air hose connects to the intake manifold. When the regulator is cold, you can blow or suck through this and verify that it is taking air through the slots in the piston. And, more important, when it's hot, you can verify that you CAN'T suck or blow through it. This is a great way to both verify and visualize the second function of the regulator -- supply of additional air at cold start, and cutoff of that additional air once warmed up.

Reading about it is one thing. Verifying the 10mm piston rise is good. Sucking on a hose and KNOWING there's no vacuum leak through it? Priceless.

Interesting observations Rob.

Also check to see if the outlet pipe at the coolant branch manifold is clear and not blocked. Metal fitting screwed into the aluminum branch seems to invite corrosion and makes it tough to remove that hose. The supply of coolant from this point to the KF warm-up regulator is important.

pics1252010022.jpg

pics11282010022.jpg

On 10/14/2012 at 7:24 AM, thehackmechanic said:

As part of my quest to find the source of my tii's lean running, I removed the warmup regulator and tested it in boiling water. With it off, I verified that the coolant passages weren't blocked. When the water reached 190 degrees, I removed it and verified the piston extended 10mm. This verifies the cold enrichment function of the regulator, since the piston must lift the enrichment lever.

But, in addition, the cool thing is, with the regulator out of the car like this, you can attach a rubber hose to the connection where the auxiliary air hose connects to the intake manifold. When the regulator is cold, you can blow or suck through this and verify that it is taking air through the slots in the piston. And, more important, when it's hot, you can verify that you CAN'T suck or blow through it. This is a great way to both verify and visualize the second function of the regulator -- supply of additional air at cold start, and cutoff of that additional air once warmed up.

Reading about it is one thing. Verifying the 10mm piston rise is good. Sucking on a hose and KNOWING there's no vacuum leak through it? Priceless.

Hi Rob..

Sorry to resurrect this old thread... I am in the process of getting my tii running right (AFR tuning chasing a lean condition) and when i got to the Warm up regulator i found this thread... I tried to replicate what you did but could not replicate the results...I posted a question that elicited little feed back...I also called Gus (pacific injection) and he told me that all WUR leak a little bit...

I know it has been a while but do you recall if was a complete stoppage of air when you blew air or extremely restricted ?

I went to far as submersing it to make sure the cone got warm (and expanded) then i notice that there were bubble coming where it should be sealed tight...telling me that my cone is extended but not snug...

Am thing about just getting a rebuild WUR but am torn between what you were able to do vs. what Gus is telling me... any input you'd have would greatly be appreciated :)

Thanks

Omer

Yeah, that WAS a while ago. If I said it, I'm sure that it was my observation, but I can't be completely certain. The conventional opinion IS that they all leak a little bit. Sorry. Wish I could be more precise than that.

20 hours ago, thehackmechanic said:

Yeah, that WAS a while ago. If I said it, I'm sure that it was my observation, but I can't be completely certain. The conventional opinion IS that they all leak a little bit. Sorry. Wish I could be more precise than that.

I'll continue my effort to find a spare and while also trying to add a manual cut off to that pipe in the back...

Omer