jjbunn

Pool of water in passenger footwell

16 posts / 1220 viewsLast Reply

After a recent downpour, I have a pool of water in the passenger footwell, but the origin of the leak is unclear. I tried pouring some water into the area around the heater box (through the slats at the rear of the hood), but none appeared to make it to the footwell.

What are the most likely places for the leak to be?

Thanks!

Julian

Windshield seal, more specifically in the corner.

This. Had the exact same thing happen to my car last year....

This would surprise me, as my seal is new and just replaced. (Unless I screwed it up somehow! I'll check.)

Any other suggestions?

1. make sure your "elephant trunks/duck lips" (heater plenum chamber drains) aren't all plugged up. Water there can back up through the heater and drain out the heater footwell outlets.

2. if your radio antenna is A pillar mounted and on the pax side, see if it's firmly attached to the car, and that the rubber seal is intact. Great spot for a leak.

3. Pull back the carpet and check the joint where the toeboard, floor and side cowl all meet. Rust there can force water into the car as you drive. More common on the driver's side, but can happen on the pax side too.

check the above after checking the windshield...if it didn't leak before you installed the new windshield gasket, there's a real good chance that's the culprit--esp if you used an aftermarket gasket vs the OEM BMW part.

cheers

mike

If it happens while driving, check for rust holes in front wheel house.

And door seal area, the water from the area between the hood and front fender is drained between the door and the front fender I recall(?).

It is indeed the new seal I put in ... I think it was a URO. The top corner on the passenger side is not sealing well to the body :-(

This is annoying. I suppose I need the OEM BMW seal - or can anyone recommend a known good aftermarket seal of the correct shape?

Thanks!

Julian

that fits correctly is the OEM one.

That was my experience. Our local glass shop tried three URO seals on my car before he finally listened to me and ordered a factory one. It fit perfectly the first time. He was embarrassed to have kept my car a week to replace a windshield!

cheers, and sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

mike

that fits correctly is the OEM one.

That was my experience. Our local glass shop tried three URO seals on my car before he finally listened to me and ordered a factory one. It fit perfectly the first time. He was embarrassed to have kept my car a week to replace a windshield!

cheers, and sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

mike

Thanks, Mike. I ordered an OEM seal from Blunt.

It's sad that the URO seals are sold with the emphatic claim that they fit like OEM!

Right now I have the rear glass out, replacing the seal on that - and I bought a URO type weeks ago for the job :-( .... I shall report back how well it fits.

Julian

My brothers 02 had a URO seal installed by a glass shop. The upper left hand corner never sat right. Installer blamed the car. I bought a factory BMW rear window seal and made a deal with the installer. If the new BMW seal fit as designed, he would do it no charge. If it fit the same as the URO, he could double his install price. Needless to say, he did it no charge and I let him keep the URO seal he initially installed.

My brothers 02 had a URO seal installed by a glass shop. The upper left hand corner never sat right. Installer blamed the car. I bought a factory BMW rear window seal and made a deal with the installer. If the new BMW seal fit as designed, he would do it no charge. If it fit the same as the URO, he could double his install price. Needless to say, he did it no charge and I let him keep the URO seal he initially installed.

The upper left corner on mine is the bad fit too. The upper right is marginal at best. I didn't really pay much attention when I fitted it, assuming that that was how it sat, or that it would settle in after a while. Big mistake.

Having spent most of the day trying to get a good fit with a URO rear windshield seal, my opinion is that it fits about as well as my arse.