Motorcitydak

Setting cam timing

4 posts / 516 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys, I am finishing up a rebuild on my m10 in my '74 Tii. Engine never left the car, it needed rod bearings in a bad way. Got a cylinder hone and new piston rings. Everything came from Ireland. When I tore down the motor i marked the injection pump's belt so I knew where the crank was and I marked the firewall where the distributor rotor was pointing to. Then I zip-tied the cam sprocket to the timing chain and pulled the head. The chain must have skipped a few teeth as I was rotating the motor to get everything on and off because it was way off when I tried to re-install everything. I had to move the cam sprocket a few teeth to get everything to line up again.

Now I am just concerned that I may have the cam timed wrong, so how can I time it now? I still have the front of the motor completely assembled, covers, pulleys, water pump and alt still on there. Looking thru the grill, I can see a mark on the K fish belt cover, is that helpful at all? I have the head on and torqued rite now so I did not set it to TDC while being able to look at the pistons. I read that the cam gets timed by the line on it pointing to the oil sprayer bar, is that rite? So find TDC somehow and check that line at the bar?

Also, what is up with the forum? Looking at all the topics, they are all broken down in what looks like archive mode? Did my settings change on accident? Is it like that for everyone?

EDIT:never mind about this one, i found the flat view button, all better now

With the engine at Top Dead Center, the mark on the cam should be in the center of the spray bar. Be careful of turning the engine without the cam chain being attached to the cam. With a used engine the cam mark will be slightly to the pasengers side with the engine at TDC. G

Don't say, but assume tii?

Look at the flywheel thru the hole at the back top. TDC(TO) or Line will be just at the lower part of the hole, about to disappear. Don't trust pulley. Sometimes dead on, sometimes not. Turn engine without plugs in with 30mm socket on front crank pulley clockwise. Should be able to get onto it with standard socket wrench.

When mark on flywheel visible, check cam sprocket flange for location of strike mark. Should be directly opposite the pin.

Distributor rotor should also be pointing to rim mark.

If you're off 3 teeth, liable to strike piston. Might get away with 2 teeth.

don

Thanks guys, yes Tii. I just checked it, I was off by 2 teeth. I was able to rotate the engine over without strike before and after I changed it. Should be all set now tho. Also noticed that i had forgotten to bend the bars on the cam bolts so they will not rotate out, glad I caught that. For the life of me I can barely see into that hole, wish there was something a little better. Now I just have to finish up a few more little details and I will hopefully fire it up tomorrow!