thehackmechanic

kfish pump allen bolt heads have blue RTV in them

4 posts / 383 viewsLast Reply

I just yanked the warmup regulator off the tii's KFish pump, and while my head was up close against the pump, I noticed that the allen head caps for both the pump top cover and the O-rings have blue RTV in them. Then I remembered that the vertboten screw had blue RTV over it as well (before I started verbottenly screwing with it), though was missing the plastic cap. Was the blue RTV a "this hasn't been futzed with" indication from the factory, or is it indicative of a rebuild?

Probably leaked and someone cheaped out and used pookie instead of replacing the o-rings. The blue stuff isn't even correct for the application. Hope it's only on the top few threads. My inclination would be to clean the pookie out and get the proper o-rings in there. Carefully. Don't let any of it get into the suction valves.

hth

N

Someone has been there before you. The only alan head with anything in it should be the left rear on the top. From the factory they were sealed with lead.

A trick that was told me by an old factory rep, put a nickle under the warm-up regulator between the grub screw and the lever when the engine is cold. This will make the engine run richer at full throttle. But it won't pass any DEQ. G

IIRC Redszus did that to my pump.

Oh, also he put a PAR plate in one of the triangular nameplate spots on the pump.

Cheers,