ringkingpin

Finally, finally, finally got my 71 on the road

10 posts / 633 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Nice Job well done, great stance Bavauto spoiler? Any -pics of interior? Workin on goin retro with my 76, have some original 72 seats coming and trying to use the two tone door boards, love the look.

Looks great! Very very original. I agree that we need more pics of the interior!

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's embarrassing how long it's taken to finish this project. I swear, I was snake bit on this one at times. I'd run in to some sort of major road block, get bummed out, put her on ice for a couple of months, pull her back out and invariably, that damn snake would come out and get me again. lol

Just one small example. My dash was pretty roached so I wrapped it in a vinyl material and a couple months later it came unglued and looked like crap. I knew OEM dashes were available for something like 800 bucks so I just stalled buying it. When it was time to buy one, Steve (thanks BluntTech!) told me, "you gotta be kidding me, I just sold the last two known to exist." Lol... this stuff happened to me left and right. So what I had to do was send it over to www.justdashes.com and have it redone for 25% more than an OEM dash. DOH!!! lol.

So like I said, snake bit. I've started and completed a lot of other larger projects while this one sat neglected and loomed over me like a black cloud. 59 power wagon, 76 2+3 hotrodded donzi, lots of motorcycles, etc. etc. So I'm just over the moon that she's running on the road! About damn time!

I still have little things to work out, such as trimming the fenders. haha, I got the BBS rims and the tires but never thought of needing to roll the fenders until today when they were cutting the tires, haha. The law of unintended consequences kicked my ass on this little car! It's all good though.

I need to buff the paint this weekend and then detail the interior. Once it's worthy, I'll post some more pics in this thread. I think you guys will be surprised with what I did. Not a huge surprise, just that the interior is as unique as the exterior.

The front fairing... man, I can't even remember who I got it from, some guy on this forum out in CA who made a Kamei knock off. I had to cut the sucker in half and remove about 4" to make it fit properly though, lol. Just one of the gazillion road blocks I hit. Thanks again for the kind words!

Geoff

Wow really nice paint job. Very unique. Can you post some more (and larger) photos?

It's embarrassing how long it's taken to finish this project.

An! That's nuthin.

Nice job.

John

So it's the second day on the road for me. I found out what that strange vibration was in the back, lol, tires hitting the rear fenders. No damage done, aside from some tire cutting but not bad at all.

I was really worried about rolling the fenders so I cut them and didn't have to get to close to the seam on the fender well. All I needed was about 3/8" and I would be good. We did it this morning and this afternoon I made sure we cut enough. Haha, I've learned it's best to drive this car like you stole it. I had her sliding all over the place today but she's rock solid and very predictable; a real joy to drive already!

I'll post more pics by the end of the weekend. I need to buff out the outside and clean up the inside.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement!