Cyclone101

2002ti Engine rebuild question

5 posts / 618 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys,

I split my 2002ti engine to inspect its current condition. I found that the retaining clip on the no.2 small end bearing came loose and scraped the bore badly. about 0.25mm deep if I had to guess, maybe even more.

I also saw that it was on the second overbore(+0.5mm) already.

My question is, were there ti pistons made in bigger than +0.5mm? Or should I be looking at custom pistons.

Another question, I read that if you buy a short block from BMW that it does not have a engine no stamped into it. Would it be considered wrong to stamp my chassis number into it? Because that way I can still use ti pistons.

Regards

Jacques

The rareity of real Ti's makes it worth saving the original block. You should be able to find cast Ti pistons at 90.0mm (1.0mm overbore).. If you can clean up the bore at 90.0mm that is the easiest way to go. If it is going to take more than that you might consider sleaving that cylinder and still using the 90.0mm pistons. If it was just a standard 2002 I would say just get another block and build it as the value of the car does not really change enough to offset the cost to save the original block. The Ti block I believe is worth saving and using.

I havn't seen any 1mm oversize pistons fro the ti. The biggest that BMW Has on their system is 89.47(second oversize). Where have you seen 1mm oversize? that would be perfect for me.

EDIT: I see maximillian has 1mm oversize flat top pistons on their site. But it is NLA. I doubt I would find bathtubs if flat tops are NLA.

Preyupy said it already. Don't let one particularly bad cylinder dictate your oversize! Sleeving is no big deal for a good machine shop; nor is it expensive if you're already having the cylinders professionally bored.

Since the sleeved cylinder can be any size, including standard, what's the bore of your next worse cylinder?

Good luck with your rebuild!

Steve