Philbert

Tire Sizes

7 posts / 670 viewsLast Reply

OK, I found new wheels, 14 x 6.4 basketweaves so it's time to get tires. I'm thinking 185s will be best. Most people here seem to prefer 185/60s over 65s. Why is that? 65s are closer to stock diameter and there seem to be more choices of manufacturer. Is the handling of the 60s better or do folks just think they look better. Looking for advice... By the way, I'm running on H&Rs and Bilstein HDs, slightly lowered.

you can really do either...

some folks get some rub w/ the 65's but that can be due to other things as well.

search here and u can see pics of both.

alot of 02s back in the day ran 185/70 13 and 205/60 13, and plus one 185/60 14.......... all are a bit smaller than stock I recall.

its your call.....but the 60 series in theory will have better transient response due to lower profile sidewall....and they will ride harsher in theory as well.

Consider 195/60 x 14 tires. You will get the slightly larger diameter than 185, and the extra width.

Consider 195/60 x 14 tires. You will get the slightly larger diameter than 185, and the extra width.

+1

+1 on the size; my ride dropped 1.5 inches when I switched to ST springs coupled with Bilsteins HD shocks this summer. Ride and cornering improved, next step is sway bar work.

I run 185/65-14s on my 2000cs steelies, and I like them. The speedometer is no less accurate than before. I have Sumitomo HTR-200 tires, which I love but are NLA. Steering is still plenty light; I was concerned that 195s would make it too stiff.

-Dave