aatkins

Rebuildable Motor Question~Price

6 posts / 601 viewsLast Reply

I am pulling the motor out of my '74 and am putting a new one in. I am wanting to sell the one pulled from my car...as far as I'm concerned it needs to be rebuilt. I don't know whats wrong with it. Maybe cracked head? Last time I turned the key (8 months ago) it turned over and ran but billowed smoke as I cruised down the street. That is ALL I know. I am wondering the what a motor of this condition would usually go for? Everything is stock. I want to sell it after it is pulled.

Thank you

Alex

With that description you just gave, sounds like a nice boat anchor. Or maybe $50 at the metal recycle joint.

hth

And the motor you're going to put in is blueprinted and documented?

If not hang onto the boat anchor and rebuild it so when the transplant goes you've got one ready to throw in. I've been through a few and usually can't give them away. Took 9 months to give a 4speed tranny away.

If your determined to part with it..."curb alert" it.

Was it white smoke (blown head gasket) or blue or black smoke? Agree that without any knowledge of what it wrong the engine is worth very little, even to someone willing to rebuild it. Having compression and leakdown tests before pulling the engine would have been useful, but it sounds like too late for that.

If you are at all mechanically inclined I would suggest pulling it apart a bit to see what went wrong. If it is a simple head gasket failure and nothing is cracked and metal shards have not gone all through the engine (broken piston, rings, valves, bearings etc) then it may be worth holding onto as a future core, or you could sell the head and block separately with better knowledge of their condition. If it really has gone boom then consider buying a boat :)

Best of luck, Fred '73tii & '69GT3

If you can keep the engine don't trash it. They aren't worth much but in future they may be. Over here, in Finland, you get to pay over 100e for 2002 block that is in stock bore. That is because turbo builders are looking for old m10 blocks as they are the strongest and historic racers need them in stock size because only small overbore is allowed. They don't make new ones so they must be getting more and more rare in US too.

If you can't save it give it to someone for what you get.

Tommy

Adding that rebuildable head cores that are not cracked are even more expensive and pretty hard to find over here.

Tommy