AceAndrew

Basic hidden stereo wiring diagram

14 posts / 3250 viewsLast Reply

To be up front, I'm not a stereo kind of guy. Everything I've learned about them is limited to last weekend.

The plan is for a basic 4 speaker stereo which can be controlled by my Ipod and be completely invisible. This is what I've got for now, any stereo guru's please chime in. Much thanks to Micah on here for getting me on the right track.

stereo1.jpg

Oh, and any pictures of under-rear-seat amplifier setups would be very helpful!

Nice diagram though there are a few things I can't quite make out due to the resolution of the diagram (using my phone to read). First comment: obviously the iPod is a 2 channel stereo device and your amp is a 4 channel device.

Normally you would have some kind of fader to split the 2 channels pre-amp and give you 4 channels and allow you to adjust front to rear. I can't quite work out what the diagram is showing since it looks like it is still just the two channel RCA lead going to the amp. I assume that there could be an internal fader and 2 to 4 channel split within the amp.

You would be better off getting a head unit and installing it somewhere hidden (there are brands specifically designed for this). That will give you much more control over the balance and tone and most will have an option for ipod input. Direct wiring like this will work, but you lose most of your ability to tune the system to make it sound good.

yes, and since you are just using a 4x50w amp...you can get that kind of power out of a good head unit and ditch the separate amp. then you would have sound control and a tuner.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Most of what you guys have mentioned has been covered in the choice of hardware (volume control via remote knob, amp w/ internal fade/ high/lo pass filters and 2 to 4 channel split).

In regard to tuning I see the point. There is the option of attaching an equalizer to the JL CL-RLC unit. Something like the Clarion eqs 746-1 ?

Clarioneqs746-1.jpg

The goal is to not run any sort of head unit.

Nice job! I think I'm going to do the same stealth set-up as I don't want a modern head unit either. Plus you won't get 200watts out of any head unit, maybe true 12-15 per speaker at most which is fine if you just want some tunes at normal driving speed.

Just 2 suggestions.

1- The front speakers are going to be overpowered by the amp so you will get some distortion. Get higher capacity speakers, something like 60w rms. A good rule of thumb is to have 10 to 20% room in capacity on your speakers.

2- Get an adapter like this one http://www.amazon.com/AViPD-Universal-Charging-Interface-COMPATIBLE/dp/B003108B02/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349924155&sr=8-3&keywords=iPod+RCA+12v so that the iPod is charged while playing. That way you will never run out of juice

Also consider a 5 channel amp, you gonna want some bass......

Otherwise, looks good. Good luck and post pics of the install.

My 4 channel amp has a gain control for front and rear so I can adjust the front to rear sound level. It also has a simple eq built in so I can adjust high, mid and low levels separately from front to rear. It took a little time to get it adjusted but I have not touched it in months and it sounds good and gets uncomfortably loud. As mentioned by others a 5 channel would be nice but I can add another amp in the future for a subwoofer.

The other bonus of my system...I use a non-iPhone smartphone that I run through a mini jack to RCA... Is when I make a call on my phone it plays through my car speakers so I am hands free. I put my phone on my lap and put it on speaker phone. The people I talk to have no trouble hearing me and they are very loud through my speakers.

Good luck Andrew you are getting very close to a nice stealth system.

It's a good start, but ... More cow bells. I think the system needs more cow bells.

post-18576-13667665322588_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667665323593_thumb.jpg

For those with fronts only (a'hem), you can use a 2 channel amp. For those with fronts and a sub (a'hem), use a 3 channel, or bridgeable 4 channel..where channels 3/4 are combined to increase power for the sub. And a 5 channel amp, to add a sub (a'hem) to a four speaker system.

A Preamp with sub out is a good selection as well, but less stealth.

I found a stereo preamp with output attenuation, and intend to relocate the volume knob to the choke location on the column. Not sure of the quality, its an old Radio Shack piece.

I used an Apple home dock and an accessory jack with a plug for two USB cords. One USB to the dock that charges the phone and provides audio out via a mini jack on the back of the dock, and the other USB for a second person's phone that may need a charge.

The music quality via the plug on the bottom of the phone is significantly better than the headphone jack. The headphone jack is preamped for ear buds.. read:crap ass. Output from the plug is direct, meaning no preamp and no volume control.. necessitating a method for volume control.

f9e8d1bd.jpg

Then there's this little guy, for you DIY guys..might work somehow.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k8084.pdf

Thanks for the continued information guys.

Otis- I came across mention of your setup but could not find pics, holy moley!

Eurotrash - Was hoping you'd chime in. If more bass is indeed in the cards I certainly will be calling you quickly. Got to look a little more into your charging deal, what did you do to increase the signal voltage from the ipod to the amp (or is that covered/mitigated by the device in your link)?

Micah and tashakes - The amp does have fade capabilities, but now I'm finding out it may be possible to put 4x6's in the front under-dash kick panels and I know those can be found with a slightly higher RMS (Polk DB461p's @ 50RMS) not perfect, but certainly closer.

AceAndrew -

Your goal of a hidden system is a very common goal of the hot-rod crowd (I have a '53 truck with a hidden system). Here is a good article with lots of links ... also, you can pull up a ton of information by surfing around with a Google search of "hidden hot rod stereo".

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/0910rc_music_solutions_for_vintage_cars/viewall.html

Although you couldn't tell from Otis, I'm a big fan of what you are trying to do. Hidden systems are cool, and I just helped a friend out with a hidden system for a Defender. Then again, I just returned from India. These guys didn't try to hide their system.

post-1769-13667665352942_thumb.jpg

Wow. That PAC LC-1 is identical to the part that I have at home. Like I said, I want to relocat the pot/knob to the choke location and mount the box under the dash. Basically achieving what the JL piece in that article does for you