jrkoupe

5 spd shift platform question

14 posts / 743 viewsLast Reply

sorry if this seems like an old beat up question but my searching has not really helped...

1)what is the desired/proper platform?.. early or late 02?..or e21

2) are the early vs late 02 platforms different?I( I know the linkages are) Does one have the triangulated support bar and one not?

My car came w/ an e21 platform.....

..Im about to freshen everything up , so I want to get it all correct.

it just seems like so many different combos are being used.

thanks

jrk

JRK,

FYI: Aardvark uses an E21 shift platform core for modification in their "kit."

When using the E21 platform, a mounting point is needed under the tunnel for bracing at the tip of the platform with a rubber bushing. The 02 platform uses the diaganol cross brace for this purpose.

Daron

Edit: Pic added

post-19295-13667665261351_thumb.jpg

late 02 platfom.

may not be an issue in all cars, but an 21 platform would not work in my car. e21 plaform is much taller at the front than an 02 platform and would not allow the tranny to be high enough to align the driveshaft.

Daron...

My e21 platform uses a rear mount as u described...thanks

ML

I do see how the e21 platform can cause such clearance concerns....I am real close at that point to my selector rod jt.

But let me ask....does the late platform differ than the early???...

I see on some parts source diagrams the later platform does not show the cross brace bar?

no idea what an early platform looks like. all the ones I have seen (1973+) look the same. like the lower one in pic above.

got it..

so you run w/ the diagonal cross brace?

No clue on early or late 02, only have seen with the mounting tab for the cross brace, although I have driven without the cross brace and wondered why my shifter was so [email protected]#$ up. If you switch to the 02 platform, the cross brace does need a shave at the platform mount slot, and you might grab the trans mount bracket for the cross brace. I have seen various ways of connecting the cross brace to the trans on threads on the forum. If you need a cross brace I have a few extras. Same deal as before :)

Daron

No clue on early or late 02, only have seen with the mounting tab for the cross brace, although I have driven without the cross brace and wondered why my shifter was so [email protected]#$ up. If you switch to the 02 platform, the cross brace does need a shave at the platform mount slot, and you might grab the trans mount bracket for the cross brace. I have seen various ways of connecting the cross brace to the trans on threads on the forum. If you need a cross brace I have a few extras. Same deal as before :)

Daron

I was just going to ask if using the cross brace was mandatory......thanks!

Just went into garage to look at a spare 5 spd trans...can I ask about this pressed in "plug"...its rather loose in its

cavity....its head moves around alot......normal?.

I dont see a way to tighten it at all....there is no access inside bell housing.

IMG_1872.jpg

• Like 1

I must admit I used the Rob Torres cantelever bracket. I didn't have a clearance issue with the platform support brace, as would happen with remounting the OEM style tabs for the longer gear box.

tranny case breather vent. it is supposed to be loose.

cool......thanks

IIRC the supporting bracket for both early and late shift mechanisms are the same, it's the linkage that connects the shift link that emerges from the tranny case and the shift lever itself that are different.

Early style has a fork and blade arrangement at the base of the shift lever--the lever and the shift rod are connected with a clevis pin.

Late style (came out sometime in late 73 or early 74) has a tubular shift rod with a peg on each end. The peg goes through a hole in the shift lever base, and in the tranny's shift link, so the rod is to one side of the shift lever.

When you see 'em side by side, the difference is obvious. I personally like the early style better, as it's easier to replace a worn clevis pin and its bushing than it is to replace the later rod when its two pegs are worn.

cheers

mike