ahlem

Made my own shifter knob

24 posts / 2523 viewsLast Reply

When you ride a desk too much, you need to work with your hands occasionally. I made this on a good wood lathe over a couple evenings. I still have to drill it to the right shifter shaft size and drill and tap for set screws. I have enough raw material to make 3 more.

post-2131-13667665252605_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is that aluminum?

I made a shifter knob earlier this year for my mini... have yet to put it on since the car is overseas, but it feels great. Pure ebony turned as a side project with my father on his wood lathe. Completely unfinished wood, but the super tight grain means a smooth feel and it wont absorb much liquid (sweat). Another benefit is that ebony is very dense wood so it is a little heavier then the rubber knob I have on there now.

The flash makes it look lighter in color, but it is actually nice and black.

post-2131-13667665253727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

has a grain that looks like teak, but the same reddish color as mahogany so goes well with my wood steering wheel.

If you have access to a wood lathe, it's a fun project--and a wood knob feels soooooo good!

cheers

mike

Being in the woodworking business means I have access to plenty of wood.

How did you mount the wood shifter knob? Did you make a metal component with set screws that you could epoxy the knob onto? We have 10-20 yards of hardwood that gets recycled weekly. I've saved some Australian Jarrah, Walnut and Tiger Striped Maple for various projects. I can see it now... "Hey Honey, I need another car for this new shifter knob"

How did you mount the wood shifter knob? Did you make a metal component with set screws that you could epoxy the knob onto? We have 10-20 yards of hardwood that gets recycled weekly. I've saved some Australian Jarrah, Walnut and Tiger Striped Maple for various projects. I can see it now... "Hey Honey, I need another car for this new shifter knob"

Line drill a hole in the bottom that fits a metal insert that is threaded with the shifter rod thread size. take some wood dust and epoxy and glue the insert in place. Screw on. Enjoy.

I also like to put a little lock nut onto the shifter rod on the bottom of the shifter knob to keep the knob in place and to take some of the strain off the insert from over tightening it.

Line drill a hole in the bottom that fits a metal insert that is threaded with the shifter rod thread size. take some wood dust and epoxy and glue the insert in place. Screw on. Enjoy.

I also like to put a little lock nut onto the shifter rod on the bottom of the shifter knob to keep the knob in place and to take some of the strain off the insert from over tightening it.

great work....nice design....I like it a lot......e me pls.....thanks

was slightly smaller than the end of the shift lever and threading it on. Has been doing just fine for at least 15 or so years. Be sure and drill the hole so that it's nice and deep (and least 3/4 of the way through the knob) so you won't break the knob off in the heat of some rapid gear changing--learned that lesson with a mahogany knob I made when I first got my '69--broke halfway through an autocross course.

If your wood threads start to get a little loose, put a small dab of contact cement on the shift lever threads and screw the knob back on. That'll keep it from turning, but you'll still be able to unscrew it if necessary.

cheers

mike

Have you guys seen the prices for used wooden knobs lately? Somebody could make a fortune making new ones at a reasonable price.

Have you guys seen the prices for used wooden knobs lately? Somebody could make a fortune making new ones at a reasonable price.

thanks for the idea.... I do have a duplicator and a huge lathe... mwahahahaa...

Tiger Striped Maple

My father does woodworking as a hobby and has made several high-boy chests including one from Tiger Maple. Would be an interesting shift knob.

thanks for the idea.... I do have a duplicator and a huge lathe... mwahahahaa...

Hey, make them nice looking and affordable and I'll take 2! ha ha

Hey, make them nice looking and affordable and I'll take 2! ha ha

Give me dimensions (drawing is nice) and wood type and I'll see what I can do.

:)

Affordable is a given. If I can pop out some of these and make enough to pay for gas, I'm a happy camper.

Better yet I'll send you a knob . What's your email into? You don't have it filled out.

Rocan...

I hope to c u on Sat..

..but Id love a wood knob along the lines of an oe profile....perhaps a bit taller...I can show you my similiar knob but in blk CORIAN in the car now....

Rocan...

I hope to c u on Sat..

..but Id love a wood knob along the lines of an oe profile....perhaps a bit taller...I can show you my similiar knob but in blk CORIAN in the car now....

I'll be there!