Rocan

That first time sideways...

12 posts / 942 viewsLast Reply

Having recently acquired my 2002, I couldn't wait to push her to the edge. Living in New York City means little opportunity to do that without being questioned by authorities (I swear officer, my foot slipped off the clutch and my other foot got stuck on the throttle!). Earlier today I was up in New Brunswick, NJ, visiting my girlfriend. An early morning drive on the nice slick roads meant the air was nice and cold and the 02 was loving every minute of it.

So there is this roundabout on campus that I would pass every day when I still attended school there, and it has been taunting me for a while. The roads were clear so I decided it was time to get my lsd free 02 sideways. A quick scandinavian flick and I was taken by surprise with the easy by which she responded to my input (on all stock suspension, mind you!). I feathered the throttle a bit and loved the way she straightened out when I let off the go pedal. With the girlfriend scared in the passenger seat I remembered to calm down, but the stupid grin lasted a while.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have driven all kinds of fabulous vehicles at speed, but that 15mph slide this morning was on top of the fun list, right there alongside the way my Mini trailing throttle oversteers when pushed hard. What a great feeling... nothing beats the raw connection between a driver and a completely mechanical vehicle.

My only complaint is that I really need to get a prototipo... That dang trucker wheel means a lot of movement for not a lot of radius.

Anyone else have a first time sideways (in the 02!) story?

Thats what track days are for NOT public roads regardless on how clear you think the road is !!!!!!!!!!!!And what Country you are in !!!!!!

After the first time I rebuilt/upgraded my 02's motor, and after the break-in period -- that seemed waaaay to long, BTW ;-) -- I had the 02 out to auto-X again, and we had an empty adjacent lot to 'ahem', warm-up the tires in. Feelin' amped up before my 1st run, I decided to try some 'spirited' figure 8s in the warm-up lot, and I drifted the car oh-so-nicely through about four 8's (much smoke). I was laughing out loud it was so fun, and the feedback/responsiveness to the car was so obscene & direct... It wasn't my first time sideways, but the first with a +50hp increased drivetrain, and it was a high for me that lasted at least 2 weeks.

I know how you might be feelin'...

Tom

ps: yeah, be safe out there

Thats what track days are for NOT public roads regardless on how clear you think the road is !!!!!!!!!!!!And what Country you are in !!!!!!

You are absolutely right. If it makes any difference, I stayed below the legal speed limit and really didn't do anything too dangerous. I'm a big advocate for keeping it safe and legal on the roads. If there were snow on the ground it wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary. No way I would have done it on a dry road, a busy road, or even later in the day when the students are awake (early morning sunday means everyone is sleeping :)).

Not saying it was right, but we would all be lying if we said we never pushed it just a little bit on the road once in a while.

And here I was thinking that's why roundabouts where made...

But I only do it when the only person I can hurt is myself. And my car I guess.

I say, as long as you only kill yourself in a crash, I don't care much. Lol, at least you are going ou with a smile!

My first drift was totally unintentional though. I was driving home from class in my 2002 a few years ago, and took my usual route. There is one nice right hand sweeper that I love and mid corner I saw diesel on the road and knew I had to react smoothly. The car stepped out a lot but I just kept the throtttle still and countered. I think I skidded for 50m till the rears gripped again and straightened out. It was very scary at the time! I suspect that a bus/truck was overfueled and spilt all the diesel in my lane.

And here I was thinking that's why roundabouts where made...

But I only do it when the only person I can hurt is myself. And my car I guess.

I say, as long as you only kill yourself in a crash, I don't care much. Lol, at least you are going ou with a smile!

My first drift was totally unintentional though. I was driving home from class in my 2002 a few years ago, and took my usual route. There is one nice right hand sweeper that I love and mid corner I saw diesel on the road and knew I had to react smoothly. The car stepped out a lot but I just kept the throtttle still and countered. I think I skidded for 50m till the rears gripped again and straightened out. It was very scary at the time! I suspect that a bus/truck was overfueled and spilt all the diesel in my lane.

Knowing how to drift, and more directly how to correct a drift is very useful. Hey, if we were in Finland, drifting would be a mandatory part of our licensing course :)

Yeah, diesel and oil on the road is no fun at all.

First time I really got sideways in something more powerful than a tractor or lawn mower (Yes i've drifted a Deere and an old 8N...) was in my dads 4x4 Chevy pickup with a big block and a locker. I was waiting at a light to turn left and saw an opening I thought I could make, well I made it and it was wet too! Came through the intersection fine, but once I was on the road I was going down the truck went sideways bout 30* easy. Had it in control and rode that for a bit and the car coming the other way must of been freakin seeing this big ol truck just comin sideways down the road. Got it back straight and went on my way to school.

I miss my buddies field we use to drift the BMW and his lifted F150 in, we would do 300+ ft power-slides around the middle of his field seeing how long we could hold em. We got darn good at that after a while!!!

First car, 1987 Nissan Pulsar... 17 years old lighting a cigarette like a dumb ass and looked up to find I was about to miss my turn. Ripped the wheel left going about 40mph and didnt break. Ass end slid out and somehow my body knew what to do... I downshifted into the turn and feathered the throttle through the slide. It straitened out nicely and I felt like a BADASS!!! Worst part was, NO ONE SAW IT!!! lol

First time I got the 02 loose was not so graceful... I was late on a pizza delivery and I took a turn way too fast and the back end slid out. Totally got away from me and I wound up in the middle of a 4 lane road going the wrong way... NOT FUN!!

I dunno, the ramp from 46th onto SB99 is all polished cement...

...so in the wet, on The Advantage by Bridgestone,

I just dump the clutch, get the rear loose, grab 2nd as

soon as I can, and hoonigan it all the way onto 99.

Funny how I always seem to get a gap 'come time to merge.

Not that I recommend this.

But at 15 mph, really, all you're gonna do is kill some pedestrians, right?

t

sweet! I had a similar experience yesterday. Very predictable car isn't it?

I knew the fun police had to come out in this thread, lol.