jgerock

Rustiest rear subframe award?

6 posts / 1216 viewsLast Reply

This piece was a free acquisition that had trailing arms, stub axles and a matching complete front subframe that MLytle and I hauled away from Fjord 72tii owner John in Maryland. John had used the parts a few years ago to roll his car around during bodywork in his tiny garage. My intentions were to use them under the '69 to make the car a "roller" when it finally goes to a bodyshop.

Before I loaded it into the trunk of my Honda last night, Marshall told me he had knocked out some of the rust.

I got a bunch more out from the inside and this thing is scary. When jacking the car back up using the subframe, the deflection grew with every pump of the jack handle. Scary indeed!

IMG_8062.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

Jim, put a reed on the end and you could play that thing like a saxaphone!!

Thanks for the pics. Living in area where rust is non-existent, and my car has always lived in this environment, it's nice to see an example of what I see refered to in posts all the time.

Bob Napier

post-17424-13667665187817_thumb.jpg

Original rear subframe on my '69--stored for the summer, I noticed one rear wheel had an unusual amount of positive camber. Looked under the car, and noticed that the subframe had broken in half right at the mounting point for the rear swaybar. This swaybar bracket was all that was holding the two halves of the subframe together, assisted by the swaybar itself.

We very gingerly winched it onto a flatbed truck for its journey to the garage for replacement. The replacement subframe was thoroughly doused inside with Rustoleum damp-proof primer. No problems since.

I kept the broken outer end for my rust seminar show and tell--if you were at Mid-America Fest last April you saw it.

A friend had the ear that the diff mounts to part company from the rest of the subframe, while he was driving his tii. That made for a few exciting moments until he could get the car stopped.

cheers

mike

This piece was a free acquisition that had trailing arms, stub axles and a matching complete front subframe that MLytle and I hauled away from Fjord 72tii owner John in Maryland. John had used the parts a few years ago to roll his car around during bodywork in his tiny garage. My intentions were to use them under the '69 to make the car a "roller" when it finally goes to a bodyshop.

Before I loaded it into the trunk of my Honda last night, Marshall told me he had knocked out some of the rust.

I got a bunch more out from the inside and this thing is scary. When jacking the car back up using the subframe, the deflection grew with every pump of the jack handle. Scary indeed!

IMG_8062.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

Ding, ding, ding ...... winner - especially if you have enough such that you need a "snow shovel" to sweep up.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Wow! Well the price was right.....For a shovel full of rust!

Althought I would be scared to one day find the rear of the project on the shop floor with that Swiss cheese of an excuse for a sub frame.

Be careful around it!