Guest Anonymous

2002 engine question

12 posts / 733 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

My dad has had a '72 2002 for about 15 years now. The last few years he just really hasn't driven it much, so, the other day, I told him I'd be happy to drive it around for him. Well, he dropped it off this morning!

It has a few issues, but my first concern is this:

bmw002-1.jpg

I'm guessing a hose is missing. If so, does it go to the bottom arrow? I can't find any other place it could go...

As of now, oil is coming from the first arrow.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a car guy...but I want to learn.)

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

After some looking around at pics on the web, it doesn't look like it goes from the top arrow to the bottom. BUT, I cannot figure out where it goes to from the top arrow...

The top arrow hole is just a vent. Originally it was connected the bottom of the air cleaner and the air just got sucked back into the intake. Many just run a hose down to the ground and let it vent into the atmosphere. Or you can leave it as is although you may get some oil splatter or residue in that area.

Interestingly, there seems to be a water shutoff valve from a toilet in the lower right of that pic. Looks to be connected to the heater box outtake...

Guest Anonymous

see if the air cleaner has a hole or fitting in its bottom, inside the filter. That is where the hose should go to.

Yes the hose should go where you have the other arrow pointing. As the other poster said, the other end of the hose should go to the underside of the air cleaner, but if instead the other end of the hose just hangs down, no big deal.

Guest Anonymous

if its got a toilet fitting on the hose, flush it, u cant make this shit up!

My guess on the shut off valve is that the factory heater valve does not work and that one was installed to stop water flow. The valve is installed on the outlet of the heater coil so water is still entering the heater.

I see there is a chunk of fan blade missing - most likely from coming in contact with something. Better inspect your engine and transmission mounts.

Car still has A/C based on those two lines on the passenger side - wonder how long ago it worked.

Guest Anonymous
My guess on the shut off valve is that the factory heater valve does not work and that one was installed to stop water flow. The valve is installed on the outlet of the heater coil so water is still entering the heater.

Yes. You have to turn that valve for the heater to work.

I see there is a chunk of fan blade missing - most likely from coming in contact with something. Better inspect your engine and transmission mounts.

Yes. At least one of the motor mounts is bad. Is that fairly easy to fix/find new ones?

Car still has A/C based on those two lines on the passenger side - wonder how long ago it worked.

The a/c used to work. I think my dad had it installed. Now, the compressor may be bad.

Thanks for all the help.

That vent on top of the valve cover seems to be blowing a lot of oil. (It's all over the inside of the hood.) I thought maybe this was due to overfilling, but checking the dipstick doesn't back this up. Any ideas?

That vent on top of the valve cover seems to be blowing a lot of oil. (It's all over the inside of the hood.) I thought maybe this was due to overfilling, but checking the dipstick doesn't back this up. Any ideas?

Old, worn out motor. I'd run a hose from the valve cover vent to under the car by the transmission unless there is a fitting under the air cleaner. The main cause for crank case pressure (what you have going on there) is worn or stuck rings on the pistons. Change the oil and use some Marvel Mystry oil as an additive. drive it around for a month or so and change the oil again. This might help bring back the motor after sitting so long.

As was said above, you need a new fan, motor mounts and probably radiator hoses.

Good luck, we are all counting on you!

John

Thanks everyone for all the help!

I changed the oil with 4qts of 20w-50 SuperTec(Walmart) and .5qts of MMO.

I installed a hose from the valve cover vent leading down to the underside of the engine.

Took it for a drive.

No oil was blowing out!

I'm gonna keep my eye on it for a while and if it seems to be stopped, I'll get a new hose going to the air filter and change the oil again.

Thanks!

On the the next issue!

Fan and motor mounts!

Make sure the right hand mount has the spring thing that keeps the motor from sliding forward into your radiator when you hit the brakes.

John