71bmr02

crankcase gases intake

4 posts / 428 viewsLast Reply

installing a different intake manifold and discovered all the intake valves have a lot of oil/carbon buildup and oil residues on floor of intake runners. this car, like a lot i suspect, has had the egr system removed (not by me) and i believe i am pulling crankcase gases through the carb. has anyone had success with a pcv valve on these motors or some other way, perhaps a catch can, to control crankcase gases from entering the intake system.

thanks

G

I ran a pcv system on my air-cooled and will definitely be doing the same with the 02.

The oil stayed cleaner for far longer and I could put the car away immediately after a hard run without it stinking the place out.

I got a good flow of air through the rockers, back into the crankcase and via the pcv valve to the intake. It did appear to run slightly cooler also.

Something similar to...

stock_pcv.jpg

Atmo vented catch cans are dirty

Rgrds

Thnks, my engine must be a later block because there isn't a access plate to the crankcase breather system. my parts car, a 70 has the alumimun plate that serves as access point and dipstick mount. think i'll try a catch can, but i really think i have a case of valve seal problems causing the oiling of the intake valves and exhaust smoking when leaving a stop light, e.g. when sitting at light for a regular cycle, i get this big puff of light grey smoke when i take out.

thanks again

G