austinmf

Rust... Worth saving?

4 posts / 644 viewsLast Reply

I have lots of little pits in my paint and getting into the hood I have uncovered this....

Do I just get a new hood? It is malaga in spots so original ....ZERO prep and just painted over rust....

Anyone want to guess how old the rust is?

post-20302-13667665136711_thumb.jpg

If the rust has eaten all the way through then the hood is trash. Finding and shipping a new hood can get expensive so unless you can find a hood locally you may want to sand your hood more to see the extent of the rust

you have access to a compressor, you can buy a little spot blaster that uses carborundum grit that recycles itself into a cloth bag. Will clean a quarter-sized spot in 10 seconds, removing all those little rusty pits.

If the pits are all over the hood, then take it to a commercial sand blaster. A lot cheaper than finding/transporting another hood. Just make sure the sand blasting co. has experience with thin sheet metal--it's easy to warp if a ham-fist is operating the blasting equipment.

One more option--a company that does dip stripping that has rust removal/neutralizer in the tank.

Good luck

mike

I agree with Mike...I'd try to save it if at all possible, as long as it's solid structurally underneath, especially where the hood hinges are located and where the torsion bar assembly goes.

If all else fails, look into buying a new hood. But, that may be costly...I haven't checked with the dealer lately. But, about 9 or 10 years ago a new hood could be had for around $500. I'll never forget driving about 35 miles to a BMW dealer in the winter (during a snow storm) to pick up a new hood and deliver it to the body shop during Hugo's restoration. That hood actually fit nicely inside my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee! Parts guy said no way...I said "way"! :-) It went right in there! :-)

Good luck with saving the original hood though!

John