pilotnbr1

Water Pump Problems Continued...

2 posts / 271 viewsLast Reply

So back in march my tii water pump started leaking from the weep hole. I ended up having the pump rebuilt through RockAuto who outsourced the work to A1 Cardone. Now after only several hundred miles the pump is weeping again. The belt is tensioned to about a 1/2 inch deflection between pulleys and I am running an electric radiator fan. Supposedly the pump has a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty which I am pursuing. However, I have no reason to believe I won't be going through this again in a few hundred miles.

Suggestions? Is buying a new oe pump going to solve this one? Should I back off the belt tension to the point of squeelling? Right now tii pumps seem to be going for just over $200 from all the sources I have looked at- Anyone have a better priced source?

I think plan "a" is to order an oe pump and also use the warranty on the rebuilt pump and keep it as a spare...

Sounds like you've already up your mind. Also sounds like a good plan.

Part of the pain of upkeeping (nearly) antique cars is finding parts, usually at whatever price the parts maker can get since there is only replacement demand into an ever-shrinking population of vehicles.