nbristow01

What a difference tires can make

19 posts / 1496 viewsLast Reply

I have been running Kumho ASTs for years. Always seemed to be a decent tire to me. Would get about 25 to 30k miles from a set.

So I am going on the fall BMWCCA Lonestar Chapter drive on the 18-21 Oct in Eureka Springs. My 19 year old daughter is going so I want to make sure the car is as safe as possible. My tires were at the indicators and dicey in the rain. So I head to Discount Tires. No 205/50/15 Kumhos in stock but they have BFG Super Sports in stock in that size. They run about $45.00 per tire more than the Kumhos but I decide to go for it since it is a better rated tire.

All I can say is WOW. Even with new Kumhos my car was never handled this well. I am no race car driver and I push my car moderately. Hardest driving I do is trying to keep up with Skip from his shop to Mid America every spring. Then trying to keep up with Bo after that. I can not believe what I was missing with my car! It is like new all over to me. The kind of fast corners I normally drive every day I can now take much faster and the car does not feel like it is wanting to slide and I do not get that weird feeling like my sidewall is folding over some.

Sometimes change is good

Yes meaningless post but just wanted to share

Agreed.

Amazing how much people discount the importance of a quality tire just to save expense. In many instances, tires make or break the feel of a car.

Great post. It's always interesting to hear what people are running and what their experience is like.

yep.

folks blow tons of money upgrading brakes, bigger wheels, slammed suspensions, fat swaybars, etc...then put some cheap ass all season tire on the car..nullifying anything else they did to it.

single best/easiest/cheapest mod you can do to a car that really improves performance in every dimension is good tires.

What is the tire air pressure from the store vs what you normally run.?

What is the tire air pressure from the store vs what you normally run.?

I have no idea, I would assume the store inflates them to the recommended pressure. I keep my tires inflated to whatever is printed on the tire.

Why did you ask this?

"I have no idea, I would assume the store inflates them to the recommended pressure. I keep my tires inflated to whatever is printed on the tire."

Note:

The pressure listed on the sidewall is the max. pressure, not the recommended pressure. '02s seem to do well with pressures around 30 psi.

I run 32 front/30 rear w/ 19 mm bars front and rear, 1½" lowered springs, 185/60 x 14 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires on 14 x 6 Ronal V2 wheels.

If you're running higher pressures they will corner better but will not wear as long.

Bob Napier

post-144-13667665117776_thumb.jpg

x2 on above ^^^

notice the number on the sidewall says MAX PRESSURE - it is NOT the pressure to put in the tire for daily driving! it is only there to list the max safely inflatable pressure they can use to install the tire and seat the beads! after that, it is dropped to the pressure the car wants!

try 32-34 psi per tire, or do as stated above.

no wonder the car didn't handle - you were driving around on extremely overinflated tires that only gained pressure as they came up tp temp. i'm guessing the center tread wore out faster than the outer treads - the contact patch was uneven and pushed out in the center due to the overinflation...

x2 on above ^^^

notice the number on the sidewall says MAX PRESSURE - it is NOT the pressure to put in the tire for daily driving! it is only there to list the max safely inflatable pressure they can use to install the tire and seat the beads! after that, it is dropped to the pressure the car wants!

try 32-34 psi per tire, or do as stated above.

no wonder the car didn't handle - you were driving around on extremely overinflated tires that only gained pressure as they came up tp temp. i'm guessing the center tread wore out faster than the outer treads - the contact patch was uneven and pushed out in the center due to the overinflation...

Actually the centers had decent tread left, outers were worn due to camber plates and I guess under inflated? To be honest the only time I ever even checked the pressure in my tires was when they looked low. So maybe once every 6 or 8 months did I ever even check them. I drive the car so much I just do not think about my tires that much. I went ahead and bought a pressure guage so will try to be a better and safer driver and keep them inflated properly. I will give the 32-34lb a shot and see how it goes. Thanks all for the lesson!!

I don't know where your car is parked at night, but try to adjust the pressures before the sun hits your tires. The sun can increase the pressure anywhere from 1 to 3 psi, depending on how long it's been shinning on your tires. And this is on one side, while the other side may still be in the shade.

I check my wife and my tires approx. once a month. I go out in the early evening and over inflate them by about 3-4 psi, then go out early in the morning and adjust them to the pressure I want.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

Actually the centers had decent tread left, outers were worn due to camber plates and I guess under inflated? To be honest the only time I ever even checked the pressure in my tires was when they looked low. So maybe once every 6 or 8 months did I ever even check them. I drive the car so much I just do not think about my tires that much. I went ahead and bought a pressure guage so will try to be a better and safer driver and keep them inflated properly. I will give the 32-34lb a shot and see how it goes. Thanks all for the lesson!!

Owner's manual and every tire manufacturer provide proper inflation recommendations. Extra spare tires and cans of flat fix would be a good idea too.

You should really get into the habit of checking tire pressures once a week, or at the very least once a month. The owners manual has the correct tire pressures and it's usually posted in the gas door of modern cars. It's so important to have the right pressure in order to prevent premature wear, to maintain good gas milage, and for general safety. Also pressures change with the ambient air temperature, so in colders seasons the pressure will drop and hotter seasons it will rise.

You should really get into the habit of checking tire pressures once a week, or at the very least once a month. The owners manual has the correct tire pressures and it's usually posted in the gas door of modern cars. It's so important to have the right pressure in order to prevent premature wear, to maintain good gas milage, and for general safety. Also pressures change with the ambient air temperature, so in colders seasons the pressure will drop and hotter seasons it will rise.

Not sure how accurate the owners manual will be for my tires as I run 205/50/15 vs the 13" that came on it. The guys above gave some good advice and I will try and make a habit of checking my tire pressure monthly. Thanks again to everyone and I appreciate your input.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, and for the record I am a loser twat, I post anonymous because I am a coward and can not show my real ID. And my twat runs about 40PSI on cold mornings

Guest Anonymous
I drive the car so much I just do not think about my tires that much.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Driving more than average miles is all the more reason to check tire pressures more frequently than average. Every other fillup?

You list other cars as part of your signature. Hopefully they get their tire pressures checked and adjusted regularly.