dlhoovler

Cheap sound insulation works

6 posts / 1059 viewsLast Reply

Off and on throughout September I did some interior work on the Orange Car. Among the work was cutting some carpet padding to go under the carpet as sound insulation. I used leftover scraps from when we had new carpet put in our house three years ago (I've been saving it a while...), cut slightly smaller than the carpet pieces and just laid in place without adhesive. With some trimming of the padding, the original snaps holding down the factory carpet still engage.

Even without any added insulation on the rockers or tunnel, the difference is amazing. It is now just about possible to have a conversation at highway speeds without yelling! I have a 5-speed, so that helps, too.

I can't take credit for the idea--that was Mike Self--but I can vouch for its effectiveness. Can't beat the price, either.

-Dave

I have yet to do a long highway driver, however I don't feel that it's too terrible. Right now there is zero insulation underneath the carpet, so I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks for sharing!

cut another piece to hang from the clips that hold the rear seat back in place. Quiets the diff and rear suspension noise noticeably.

Then take some more and place under your rear seat cushion, or just stuff the whole space under the back seat cushion with chunks of flexible foam or rigid styrofoam (even styrofoam peanuts in a heavy garbage bag)--just make sure there are no leaks into this area. This makes a big difference in the car's noise level. You'll almost be able to hear your radio at highway speeds!

cheers

mike

On both our cars I just picked up a couple of cheap, regular-size polyester bed pillows and put one under each side under the rear seat. They fit nice and tight in the space. You can get 'em for around $3.

Bob Napier

Something else that works pretty good is the sound deadening under the carpet of 90's Volvo 740s. It has heavy thin rubber on top with a foam backing, easy to take out and cut to shape.

any area that has large hollow spaces are good areas to sound deaden. as others have mentioned, under the seats is a prime area for stuffing w/ material or sound deadening materials. one of the best areas for sound deadening are the doors. buy some self adhesive material (peel n seal is a good product). seal up the holes with the material and it'll make a huuuuuge difference. there's also a huge area in the rear passenger sides where the ashtrays are that beg to be filled. any space that allows sound to reverberate.

one last thing to consider but i have not done it, but my friend sprayed an extra layer of rubber undercoating in his wheel wells. he off roads like i do and says it makes a huge difference too.

one area i found from experience that made zero difference was the headliner.