jackrabbit

Soon to Be New 2002 Owner

18 posts / 1225 viewsLast Reply

Been lurking for a while. As my birthday present to myself, I shall be purchasing my first car, 76 '02, on Friday. Don't know much about car maintenance. This should be a fun journey. Bay Area located and it looks like there's a solid community for them folks on here. Anyhow, just figured I'd introduce myself and whatnot. I'll probably be around here for a while.

Name's Jack! Would love to meet some of you bay area folks and maybe watch you guys fix your lovely machines some time. I'm eager to learn...

Fantastic.

well the suns not up yet there and maybe be we can save

yerself from yerself if you give us details, photos, body VIN

and MOTOR number before you spend all yer liquer money

on a potential disasster!

please share the above with us FIRST !!!!

getting it smogged....ugh good luck with that.

Getting a 76' smogged in Cali is gonna be hell for you, just letting you know... Hopefully all the wretched pollution control is not just present but functional.

A problem I've heard of a lot with 76's is the pipe carrying exhaust gases to the recirculation valve can get heat stressed and crack.

It's not fun to fix and most of us have tossed the components in our neighbor's swimming pools.

Fellow California 76 owner here, also named Jack oddly enough. California law requires the seller to have the car smogged. Have you asked the seller to get it to pass smog inspection? Don't settle for a verbal "it pases smog no problem," that's like hearing "the A/C just needs to be recharged," make sure you get the certificate. If the seller isn't willing to get it checked, you should demand a big reduction in price or walk away. Plenty of other 2002s out there.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your purchase. And welcome!

some nice unrusted California 76s because they won't pass smog in CA but are exempt here.

If you don't get a smog certificate from the seller before you hand over your $$$, walk away and find a 75 or earlier car that's smog exempt...that way another midwestern 02 fanatic can score a nice unrusted California car!

cheers, good luck and welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority

mike

Fellow California 76 owner here, also named Jack oddly enough. California law requires the seller to have the car smogged. Have you asked the seller to get it to pass smog inspection? Don't settle for a verbal "it pases smog no problem," that's like hearing "the A/C just needs to be recharged," make sure you get the certificate. If the seller isn't willing to get it checked, you should demand a big reduction in price or walk away. Plenty of other 2002s out there.

Don't know much but I do know about smog laws lol. The seller is selling this car for pretty cheap (little under 2k) with a perfect body, and a bunch of recent work that has it running very very well. I've got extra money saved up because I figured it was going to cause some immediate trouble (one thing or the other...). If this thing won't pass smog, what am I looking at (pricewise) to get it on the road?

I know the 76' CA owners won't like me for say this, but I'd suggest walking away for it.

I just can't suggest buying a car that you won't be able to sell in a couple years because it will have gotton even tougher to get them to pass smog.

As long as the 76 smog law exists, these cars should be saved by 02 lovers in the other 49 states or Canada.

I can totally relate to the burning desire for a car that is for sale that you can finally afford. It can be very hard to walk away from it. But in this instance, I'd suggest doing just that.

i know a guy, who knows a guy for smogging.

I have 2 cars that are smog hogs. Price has gone up though. $200.00/per car every other year. But, its no hassles.

Don't know much but I do know about smog laws lol. The seller is selling this car for pretty cheap (little under 2k) with a perfect body, and a bunch of recent work that has it running very very well. I've got extra money saved up because I figured it was going to cause some immediate trouble (one thing or the other...). If this thing won't pass smog, what am I looking at (pricewise) to get it on the road?

jackrabbit, you should make the sale dependent upon the car passing smog and / or if the car doesn't pass smog, have the curernt owner make the necssary repairs so that the car can pass smog.

If it's currrently registed and a DD, the current owner should have no problems agreeing to these terms.

See the forest through the trees young Skywlaker (Bro)......................

If this thing won't pass smog, what am I looking at (pricewise) to get it on the road?

Kinda depends. The California 76 cars don't have just one piece of smog equipment, but a whole system--there's the thermal reactor, the exhaust gas recirculation system, among others. Similarly, a smog inspection has various tests. Fail one and you fail the test. And this is all assuming that the 2002 in question has all of its emissions equipment intact, which may not be the case as people tend to yank that shit off their cars.

As far as costs go, I can't really say. If the smog equipment is intact, but not working, that's one thing. But if it's no longer on the car and you have to track down parts and install them, you could easily end up spending more on the smog stuff than you did the car itself.

Regardless, if you really, really, really want this car(or any other 02,) I'd have a mechanic with knowledge of 02 emissions equipment inspect it. The Bay Area has plenty of knowledgable 02 people and most mechanics will do an inspection for a hundred bucks or less. They may even do it for free if you bring the car to them, knowing that you'll be sending them plenty of business in the future.

People tried to talk me out of getting an older car and a 76, so I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But unless it absolutely, positively, HAS to be this car, I'd do a little more research and check out some more 02s before you take the plunge.

Or you could take Jay's advice and find a tester that will look the other way. Not that I'd ever advocate such a thing, of course.

Good luck!

If this thing won't pass smog, what am I looking at (pricewise) to get it on the road?

Kinda depends. The California 76 cars don't have just one piece of smog equipment, but a whole system--there's the thermal reactor, the exhaust gas recirculation system, among others. Similarly, a smog inspection has various tests. Fail one and you fail the test. And this is all assuming that the 2002 in question has all of its emissions equipment intact, which may not be the case as people tend to yank that shit off their cars.

As far as costs go, I can't really say. If the smog equipment is intact, but not working, that's one thing. But if it's no longer on the car and you have to track down parts and install them, you could easily end up spending more on the smog stuff than you did the car itself.

Regardless, if you really, really, really want this car(or any other 02,) I'd have a mechanic with knowledge of 02 emissions equipment inspect it. The Bay Area has plenty of knowledgable 02 people and most mechanics will do an inspection for a hundred bucks or less. They may even do it for free if you bring the car to them, knowing that you'll be sending them plenty of business in the future.

People tried to talk me out of getting an older car and a 76, so I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But unless it absolutely, positively, HAS to be this car, I'd do a little more research and check out some more 02s before you take the plunge.

Or you could take Jay's advice and find a tester that will look the other way. Not that I'd ever advocate such a thing, of course.

Good luck!

You guys have convinced me. I'm going to keep saving and go for something a bit older. There seem to be a plentiful supply of 73-75s in the bay area for around ~4k. This guy that I was going to buy the car from was kinda sketchy anyways.

That call telling him I was going to have to hold off was painful :'( I'm pretty terrible with the whole patience thing lol.

"smog guy" wont work when the DMV sends you a list of places ""they"" would like you to go........

Good luck!

You guys have convinced me. I'm going to keep saving and go for something a bit older. There seem to be a plentiful supply of 73-75s in the bay area for around ~4k. This guy that I was going to buy the car from was kinda sketchy anyways.

That call telling him I was going to have to hold off was painful :'( I'm pretty terrible with the whole patience thing lol.

..........good call, it's just good business young skywalker. Seller may have their panties in a wad BUT you my friend avoid a great deal of frustration, your patience and search will be rewarded Bro.