ksollinger

Part Identification....

8 posts / 685 viewsLast Reply

Hey All,

I was rolling my passenger side window down on the 76 and something went pop. I pulled the door panel off and found this u shaped part in the bottom of the door. Does anyone know what this part is? Im trying to pull the original glass out of the door so I can pull the regulator to investigate but the glass seems to be fused to the rail it sits in so Ive been spraying it down with PB blaster to help loosen the rubber. Anyone have any suggestions on removing the glass from the track and what this part is.

Thanks

Kelly

post-19593-13667665074412_thumb.jpg

That is a piece of the original door stop. Classic broken part. You should find that the door has no stop, or that when it was replaced, that piece was left at the bottom of the door from the previous broken stop.

That's a broken door brake spring. Time for a new door brake. Be careful of the door, it can swing open enough to get creased at the front.

From memory...

With the door panel off.

To remove the glass, roll the window down. With a block of wood, gently tap up on the exterior trim at the top of the door, be careful not to bend it. Inside the door, you'll see a circular opening where the arm slides in the lower window frame. Line the arm up with that and push from the back towards the interior, that should pop out to release the window from the arm. Unbolt the 10mm bolts from the front carriage with the wheels. May need to unbolt the rear too. Lift window out.

When reinstalling the window, it is important that the front carriage has no play or the window will rotate to the rear as it's wound up and the rear has the right tension so it doesn't pitch forward.

More info on how to get it right here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,359598/highlight,window+adjustment/

So now that I know it's the door stop I can move on the the window being stuck in the track. I was thinking of taking a torch to the track and try to heat it a little to see if it loosens up the window. Or Since I need a new regulator anyway I could drill out the rivet that connects the arm to the window rail.

Quite honestly I would stay away from heat in the door area unless absolutely necessary. There are a lot of plastic parts in there that will melt if heated.

I would take the regulator out and then the glass. Make sure all is well with the regulator and that it is not your issue. The glass should ride in guides in the tracks. If it is stuck in those guides, hit it with a little silicone spray.

There's a person on the board that makes an excellent replacement door check that works much better than the original (it doesn't break!) and looks original from the outside (the new style BMW part doesn't). I'm very happy with the ones I installed on my '73

If you remove the regulator and leave the glass in place, make sure you wedge the glass so it doesn't suddenly drop down and either break your wrist or shatter.

cheers

mike

So......I'm going crazy trying to get my front passenger window out! I've removed all the appropriate screws and soaked the 26 year old rubber in PB Blaster for the last few days and it still won't budge. I'm not sure what else to try. It just won't release from them lower track. Anyone have any suggestions before I just cut the arm off the regulator? I've got to replace the regulator anyway so I'm not worried about damaging it, I just don't want to break the original glass.

Thanks

Kelly