bobleo873

engine problem

14 posts / 848 viewsLast Reply

okay jus a lil info, m10 with e12 head, recently replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, installed electronic points

now my problem... so besides the fact that it idles at 1500 rpm (which i know is not correct) it idles pretty darn smooth, but when im driving, lets say 2nd gear... the car jolts, or hesitates for a quick second than continues driving like normal, just started doing this recently and i notice that its getting worse, could this be a carb problem? or something with my valves, or timing, someone help me, this is my daily and want to fix it before it leaves me stranded

I would start by looking for air leaks in the inlet side. Loose bolts or broken seals between carb and manifold...same between manifold and head.

That would explain both high idle and hesitation.

BR, Tommy

i would undo everything you touched until you restore

the proper running

retrace your 'tune-up'

or did the car never run right since you

bought it ?

I would start by looking for air leaks in the inlet side. Loose bolts or broken seals between carb and manifold...same between manifold and head.

That would explain both high idle and hesitation.

BR, Tommy

I do not see any visible cracks or holes , all my gaskets look good all my bolts seem tight

i would undo everything you touched until you restore

the proper running

retrace your 'tune-up'

or did the car never run right since you

bought it ?

The car always idled high, The tune up I did maybe a month ago and didn't have the hesitation problems til recently

I just had this same issue with my 2002. Turned out the timing was all messed up from the PO. I kept on trying to set the point gap correct, and that was obviously not how he had it setup, so when i had correct point gap the timing was way off. I suggest you check your timing.

1. make sure the vacuum advance unit in the dizzy is functioning. Suck on the hose leading to it while observing the point plate (dizzy cap off). The plate should move when you suck...

2. Check for vacuum leaks on the manfold ports (#4 intake runner, just below the carb) and for a loose carb.

3. Make sure the accelerator pump on the carb is functioning...work the carb linkage while looking down the carb throat (engine off). You should see a squirt of fuel when you do this.

Let us know whatcha find...

mike

vaccume advance works

my accelerator pump seems to be working

and there are no leaks and everything on my manifold seems to be tight

but today i bought a can of carb cleaner

used it

and the hesitating stopped for a couple passes up and down the street

but began to do it again, not as much tho

only does it on moderate to "hard" accelerating

Also check to see if your choke flaps arent getting stuck in the closed position on the carburator. Sometimes the chokes stick because of broken, or binding linkage.

Let us know...Good luck.

Also check to see if your choke flaps arent getting stuck in the closed position on the carburator. Sometimes the chokes stick because of broken, or binding linkage.

Let us know...Good luck.

no choke flaps are open, might even be open all the time now that i think of it, i have never seen them closed lol

Guest Anonymous

so if the carb cleaner helped there is probably a vacuum leak (I assume you sprayed it around the outside of the carb and manifold?). So try to isolate it. Increase the revs and spray different points until the engine smooths out. (you can also use propane without flame and put the gas at different points until the car runs better). All of this has some risk of fire, so have an extinguisher ready. But done judiciously, on the intake side of the engine, it works pretty well.

so if the carb cleaner helped there is probably a vacuum leak (I assume you sprayed it around the outside of the carb and manifold?). So try to isolate it. Increase the revs and spray different points until the engine smooths out. (you can also use propane without flame and put the gas at different points until the car runs better). All of this has some risk of fire, so have an extinguisher ready. But done judiciously, on the intake side of the engine, it works pretty well.

I didn't spray the carb cleaner around the carb I sprayed it into the jet's

Guest Anonymous

So then maybe the carb needs adjustment/cleaning/rebuild.

So today I was driving around when my car started to hesitate again during accelerating up hill, I noticed that when it would hesitate the tach would go crazy, sometimes red line, so it got me thinking that maybe i have some kind of problem with my ignition so I pulled over checked all my wires (Im using NGK wire set from an accord) those were good so I chcked the coil wires and all those were good also, than I remembered I installed electronic points so I pulled my distributor and discovered the electronic points module that is not suppose to move is very loose so I re gapped it and tightened everything down, took her for a few runs up and down the block, slow and fast accelerating, and to my surprise I haven't had any hesitation and the car is running like a champ again (: