Andy74tii

Alternator belt noise

6 posts / 935 viewsLast Reply

hey guys, pretty sure I need to tighten my new fan belt, but wanted confirmation:

1. It squeals a bit on startup, and goes away once the engine is revve for a minute or two.

2. When you turn headlights on, there is a slight but noticeable drop in rpms.

Tighten it, right?

Thanks,

Andy74tii

bit during the first few thousand miles and should be re-tightened.

Another thing to check is pulley alignment. The OEM rubber bushings that support the alternator will turn to black goo in a few years, allowing the alternator and its pulley to get out of alignment with the crank and water pump pulleys, causing squeal. If your bushings are soft or gooey, replace 'em with urethane ones--a pretty easy task--and you will solve that problem indefinitely (mine are at least 15-20 years old).

cheers

mike

Sure sounds like retightening is in order Andy; especially since it's new, rule of thumb is generally retighten a new belt once or twice shortly after put on. How about the lights ( instruments as well )? do they increase with brightness as you rev?

Tim

Thanks Mike and Tim, agree with you. While I had the alt out, I did change the original bushings to some red urethane ones I got from bavauto a few years ago. I will say it was somewhat difficult to get those in there, pretty tight fit!

I will retighten, and see how that works.

Thanks,

Andy74tii

that will do the trick.

I also hose-down the fan belt with some sort of spray-on Belt Dressing stuff I bought at Pep Boys. Just something else to do.

Cheers,

Carl